Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S - Serial Number of a replaced product

Hello everyone!

I've got a problem with my iPhone 4S and I hope someone here can give me a hint on how to fix this...

Last year in March I was on vacation in Las Vegas (I live in Austria/Europe) and bought a new unlocked iPhone 4S GSM in the Apple Store in the Forum Shops in Las Vegas including AppleCare+ (I just learned that iPhones can only be serviced in the Country where they are bought - my bad).

Lately I was browsing through my Apple support profile and noticed that my iPhone was not registered there. So I tried to enter the serial number of the device and got this message:

We're sorry, but this is a serial number for a product that has been replaced. Please check your information and re-enter your serial number. If your information is correct, you may need to contact us.

I knew this could not be true so I called Apple Care here in Austria and first I was told that - according to its serial number - my iPhone has been replaced, and that it never should have been sold. I also was told that I have no chance of getting any service for this device despite the Care Protection Plan because the device is invalid due to its status as "replaced". And last but not least I was told that I could never receive any service for this device because American devices cannot be repaired in Europe (I was not aware of this fact and would have expected the salesperson in the Apple Store to tell me because I definitely told him that I am from Austria).

Meanwhile I wrote an email to the store where I bought the iPhone from but it's two days now and I have not received an answer (or any indication that my email was received) yet.

Is there anything I can do?

Yours,

Michael

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on May 9, 2013 3:01 PM

10 replies

May 10, 2013 12:12 AM in response to Y014951

Dear Michael

Thank you for your response. The mystery about replaced serial no. can be unraveled by Apple only and none here in this forum is nor represents Apple.

It appears mistake on the part of Apple. Which, of course, they will correct as and when the iPhone reaches appropriate entity.

Just to be sure

Run iTunes and backup your iPhone. Thereafter, click

Edit > Preferences... > Devices

In the Window you see all the backup saved. Hover curser on the saved file. See the IMEI and serial number of the Device. Is it same ?

Regards.

May 10, 2013 12:31 AM in response to RajaRani

Hello RajaRani,

thanks again for your very quick answer. :-) I am sure you are right and I will have to contact Apple again. However, I suppose I have to contact Apple in the US because Apple here in Austria does not seem to be willing to do anything because it's an American phone.

I have accepted that I wasted 99 Dollars for AppleCare+ although I have no chance to receive any help through it here in Austria. My biggest problem now is indeed that the phone is listed as replaced because if I go for the iPhone 5 (or 5S) later this year and try to sell my iPhone 4S in the process, a potential buyer might think it is a lost or stolene iPhone.

I'm at work right now so I can't do the iTunes backup but I just checked the receipt that I got from the Apple store last year and the serial number on the receipt matches the serial number that I get from the iPhone (Settings->General->About).

User uploaded file

Okay, so I will contact Apple in the US and hope we can get this sorted out. Thank you very much for your help, it's very much appreciated!

Yours,

Michael

May 10, 2013 3:33 AM in response to Y014951

Sir what I mean is I want to check if the phone is sure an apple 4s and not a fake one. I already check the serial number with this link you gave and it is registered but I'm not quite sure of the IMEI which starts with numbers 355.

And want to confirm also if serial number even it is registered with apple the possibility that serial is copied to fake ones. Thank you sir

May 10, 2013 4:36 AM in response to jon.soliguen

For quite some time third party sites could access Apple's data base to check IMEI, Serial number of the iDevices. Of late Apple has blocked all such access. Therefore, only AppleCare can now say with authenticity about the status of the iDevices. It is not a free service.

As you have self checked the serial no. and validity of your iPhone on Apples data-base, you should now be satisfied about genuineness of your iPhone.

Quoted IMEI no. is being shown as invalid.

Regards

iPhone 4S - Serial Number of a replaced product

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.