Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 camera not working

So i have my brand new iphone 5, since out of the box (2 days ago) the camera is not working, the camera app launches when i hit the camera icon but the shutter wont open, now if hit home button and then open camera again the shutter opens but the screen is black and i can't use any button on the camera app (auto flash, switch to front camera, etc.). Last night i read somewhere in this forums to turn off "Cellular Data" on the facetime setting, and it started working, until today when i got the same problem. i already restored it as new and it did nothing. Please Help.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 10, 2013 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2013 2:53 PM

If you restored as new, it is probably a hardware problem. Take the device back to Apple.

3 replies

May 10, 2013 3:00 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

that's what i intended to, but since i bought the phone in panama and i am currently in venezuela, they said i can't send it to the states for a fix or change for a new one since supposedly "parts used to build iphones vary depending on which region they will go" so a store in the USA won't be able to do it. i am kind of hoping it is not a hardware issue and some setting will get it to work again, otherwise i think i am F'd

May 10, 2013 8:14 PM in response to max0304

Yes, warranty work on the iPhone is only good in the country where it was purchased. That is why so many people find themselves in a problem. While it may be cheaper to purchase the phone in some areas, you put yourself at a disadvantage when it comes to repairs. And you also found out you cannot send the phone in for repair from a foreign address. I believe what you found regarding the other post and turning off cellular data is an anomaly and as I mentioned earlier if you have restored the phone as a new device and not from a backup and it still does not work, it is probably a hardware defect.

If you want to try and restore the phone again and set it up as a new device and not from a backup, you can. However, remember anything that is on the phone right now will be deleted, so make sure contacts and calendar are synced, and if you have photos in the camera roll, import them to the computer. Make sure all of your purchases made on the phone have been transferred to iTunes. Any SMS/MMS that you have, any app data will all be lost.

iphone 5 camera not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.