Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I safely set up an AppleID for my parents Ipad??

- From my own computer without messing up our own AppleID etc ??

They live 300 miles away & have bought a reconditioned Ipad2, so no set up help & they don't have a clue with computers.

I have set up an email address for them with their IP, but as I'm not techy myself I am worried that setting up an AppleID from my own computer might

somehow mess up the conection with our own AppleID & that it wont work on their Ipdad - if that makes sense

Help please🙂

iPad 2

Posted on May 17, 2013 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2013 7:29 AM

Hi,

If they don't have a clue with computers, can I assume they don't have one and therefore, no e-mail account?

I'm not sure of your parents' age range, abilities to manipulate their way around an ipad, vision/hearing issues, etc., so it's hard to pinpoint what and how much help they need. (My Mom is 86 i and I hoped she'd be interested in an ipad, especially to play brain games, but she is not. However, last month my father-in-law decided he'd like one for his 91st birthday. While he can use a computer, his use is limited, and we weren't sure of his ability to really use an ipad. After many hours of research (no vision in one eye and limited in the other,) we bought one and were going to have him learn on my husband's before giving it to him where it could possibly become a paperweight. However, he ended up in the hospital that week so everything is on hold. Like your parents, he will definitely need one-on-one help in setting it up and initially using it...)

ALSO, and very importantly, your parents have 90 days of free phone support. Apple will walk them through the whole set-up process. A three way conversation among you, your parents and Apple support will be of great help so you can help them after they're all set. If you know what they want to do with the ipad, you can get the serial # of the ipad, and call Apple support and then you can help your parents. The thing with ipads, etc., for people with no experience is that with some research they will see how much they can do with an ipad that they were not aware of.

Their new e-mail address will be their Apple ID. PLEASE make sure when they first go to set up they use their e-mail as their id and when they pick a password WRITE IT DOWN and make sure they do the same. You'd be amazed at how many people post threads after having forgotten passwords, id's, etc., and if they try to many times, they will get locked out and ...a problem (restore, etc.)

Do they live near and can they access an Apple Store? They have small classes that teach you to work with an ipad. One class is "Getting started with the ipad." I was at an Apple store this week and many seniors were there. They can also make an appointment with the genius bar where they can ask questions and get set up.

Also, because they probably do not have a computer, there are many youtube videos out there that could help, if you look into them.

Find out what they primarily want to do with their ipad and start there. The whole process might take some time for you when researching what they can do with it, but as it opens new doors for what they can do with their ipad, they'll enjoy it even more.

I turned on e-mail notifications and I hope you have yours to 'on' (upper right box that says Actions - enable e-mail notifications so you won't have to scroll through to find your post and hope you get help. They move back quickly.)

If we learn their approximate ages, if they have a computer that they do not use not use, access to Apple store, etc., that could help. Do you have an ipad where you could help walk them through things and recommend ios apps/games for them? For example, if they have an old computer, they can load it with their music cd's and transfer to the ipad with an itunes account. This could be pages long if I told you all I've learned researching this for my father-in-law...

Oh. When they set up their ipad, they should also set up itunes, icloud and anything else they want with the same ID and password, making it easier for all. They should also set up find my ipad - a free app in itunes app store.

I hope this helps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2013 7:29 AM in response to Rockinhippy

Hi,

If they don't have a clue with computers, can I assume they don't have one and therefore, no e-mail account?

I'm not sure of your parents' age range, abilities to manipulate their way around an ipad, vision/hearing issues, etc., so it's hard to pinpoint what and how much help they need. (My Mom is 86 i and I hoped she'd be interested in an ipad, especially to play brain games, but she is not. However, last month my father-in-law decided he'd like one for his 91st birthday. While he can use a computer, his use is limited, and we weren't sure of his ability to really use an ipad. After many hours of research (no vision in one eye and limited in the other,) we bought one and were going to have him learn on my husband's before giving it to him where it could possibly become a paperweight. However, he ended up in the hospital that week so everything is on hold. Like your parents, he will definitely need one-on-one help in setting it up and initially using it...)

ALSO, and very importantly, your parents have 90 days of free phone support. Apple will walk them through the whole set-up process. A three way conversation among you, your parents and Apple support will be of great help so you can help them after they're all set. If you know what they want to do with the ipad, you can get the serial # of the ipad, and call Apple support and then you can help your parents. The thing with ipads, etc., for people with no experience is that with some research they will see how much they can do with an ipad that they were not aware of.

Their new e-mail address will be their Apple ID. PLEASE make sure when they first go to set up they use their e-mail as their id and when they pick a password WRITE IT DOWN and make sure they do the same. You'd be amazed at how many people post threads after having forgotten passwords, id's, etc., and if they try to many times, they will get locked out and ...a problem (restore, etc.)

Do they live near and can they access an Apple Store? They have small classes that teach you to work with an ipad. One class is "Getting started with the ipad." I was at an Apple store this week and many seniors were there. They can also make an appointment with the genius bar where they can ask questions and get set up.

Also, because they probably do not have a computer, there are many youtube videos out there that could help, if you look into them.

Find out what they primarily want to do with their ipad and start there. The whole process might take some time for you when researching what they can do with it, but as it opens new doors for what they can do with their ipad, they'll enjoy it even more.

I turned on e-mail notifications and I hope you have yours to 'on' (upper right box that says Actions - enable e-mail notifications so you won't have to scroll through to find your post and hope you get help. They move back quickly.)

If we learn their approximate ages, if they have a computer that they do not use not use, access to Apple store, etc., that could help. Do you have an ipad where you could help walk them through things and recommend ios apps/games for them? For example, if they have an old computer, they can load it with their music cd's and transfer to the ipad with an itunes account. This could be pages long if I told you all I've learned researching this for my father-in-law...

Oh. When they set up their ipad, they should also set up itunes, icloud and anything else they want with the same ID and password, making it easier for all. They should also set up find my ipad - a free app in itunes app store.

I hope this helps.

May 17, 2013 8:12 AM in response to appleuser1322

Thank you for taking the time & trouble to write such a long reply🙂, unfortunately it doesnt answer my question, which makes me think I perhaps waasnt very clear in what I asked.

I need to know if i can set up an AppleID on there behalf via my own computer (I have MAC Mini, as well as IPad, but my Ipad wont allow me to "sign out" as per instructions on one of the youtube videos you so rightly mention)

They are late 70s, not new to computers, but new to MAC & IPad, know what they want to use it for & yes I have written everything down for them & have set password to use for diifrent things so that is safe, I will use those same password so that they only need to check where they are written from their old PC - but thats not really relevant.

No 90 day back up from Apple as its a recon & they didn't buy from Apple (against my advice), they are using it for internet access, but cant download apps & games without the AppleID.

I have already set up an email address for them with thier internet Provider & want to use that to set up an AppleID.

So, my question is - Could it mess up my my own connection to Apple if I use my MAC Mini (here 300 miles away from where they live) to go online & set up an AppleID on their behalf & then pass on to them its password via phone/text for them to sign in on their own Ipad & would it then sync (if that the right term) with their IPad when I talk them through hooking up their new email account to the ipads mail App.

Hope that makes more sense🙂

May 17, 2013 8:24 AM in response to Rockinhippy

You can go to AppleId.apple.com and create a new Apple ID for them without interfering with your system as its all online. Or create a new Apple ID when you setup the iPad from within the iPad by following the setup .

You will need an email address that isn't already in use as an Apple ID, and will need to verify it.

You can also do this from your computer without affecting your system at all.

As long as you don't connect the iPad to your computer you should have no issues.

May 17, 2013 9:33 AM in response to Rockinhippy

Hi,

I was reading your response when a notif. came in that another response was given to you. I'm happy you got an answer from Phil0124. I guess I hadn't explained well enough. You said you had set up an e-mail address for your parents. That would allow them to go to the ipad (as we did with my husband's, use that e-mail address as their Apple ID and choose one password to set all including up itunes, icloud, etc. (Some use different passwords for each. One for all will be easier for them.)

So I should have just focused on the email address and that not only could you, but you pretty much set them up with an ID when you created an e-mail address for them. Then they would just use that by going to set-up on the ipad, create a password and follow all other instructions.

Because you have an ipad, if they need more help, you can get on your ipad and walk them through steps to help them get what they want.

I just called Apple support who told me that even if bought through a reseller your parents will have 90 days of phone support, and they can make appts. at the Genius Bar or take free classes at an Apple store. In USA, the # is 1-800-275-2273. If you're in another country, at bottom of page far right > contact us > at middle row under more ways to get help > see all worldwide suport telephone #'s. (I only checked USA, but it would be odd if Apple did not do this for all countries.)

Tell them to get the serial # from the box or if they can see it, from the back of the ipad, write it down, and keep it handy for any questions or set up help they will need. (They should give it to you, too. You will then be able to run interference for them if necessary.)

I'm happy they'll be up and going soon.

Can I safely set up an AppleID for my parents Ipad??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.