Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk space not being released when deleting files - FileVault 2 enabled

I am using FileVault 2 and space is not being released after I delete files. I've deleted ~ 300G and it's not showing up as free space. Not sure how to recover free space.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 17, 2013 6:50 PM

5 replies

May 17, 2013 8:22 PM in response to peiann

“You may notice a difference in available space statistics between Disk Utility, Finder, and Get Info inspectors. This is expected and can be safely ignored. The Finder displays the available space on the disk without accounting for the local snapshots, because local snapshots will surrender their disk space if needed."

About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

May 18, 2013 7:24 PM in response to peiann

You should be able to do this. The filesystem is riding on top of the encryption, so it should be treated separately; however, repairing it will invoke additional checks and repairs of the corestorage logical volume group setup, so you may see additional details show in the repair log when repairing encrypted volumes.

Note that this can only be done when the disk is mounted (ie, unlocked).

Disk space not being released when deleting files - FileVault 2 enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.