Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get ios 5 on my ipod touch?-5th Generation

I can not get ios5 on my iPod 5th generation! I do not have the option to update per the instructions.

iPod touch, iOS 4.2

Posted on May 18, 2013 8:32 AM

1 reply

May 18, 2013 8:38 AM in response to jyvettegoode

You do not have a 5G iPod touch. Those came with iOS 6.

Only the 3G and later can go to iOS 5 or later.

To update

The Settings>General>Software Update comes with iOS 5 and later.

Connect the iPod to your computer and update via iTunes as far as your iPod model allows

iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

A 1G iPod can go to iOS 2.2 via iTunes and iOS 3.1.3 via

Purchasing iOS 3.1 Software Update for iPod touch (1st generation)

https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/touchLegacyLandingPage

A 2G to 4.2.1. Requires iTunes version 10.X. If a Mac it requires OSX 10.5.8 or later. With OSX 10.4.11 you can only go to iTunes 9.X which gets you as high as iOS 4.1

A 3G to 5.1.1 Requires iTunes version 10.5 or later

A 4G to 6 Requires iTunes version 10.7 or later. For a Mac, that requires a Mac with OSX 10.6.8 or later

Identifying iPod models

You may have a 2G iPod. Those can only go to iOS 4.2.1.

iPod touch (3rd generation)

iPod touch (3rd generation) features a 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch display and 32 GB or 64 GB flash drive. You can browse the web with Safari and watch YouTube videos with Wi-Fi. You can also search, preview, and buy songs from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPod touch.

The iPod touch (3rd generation) can be distinguished from iPod touch (2nd generation) by looking at the back of the device. In the text below the engraving, look for the model number. iPod touch (2nd generation) is model A1288, and iPod touch (3rd generation) is model A1318.

How do I get ios 5 on my ipod touch?-5th Generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.