Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to repair an Iphone purchased in another country ?

I recently damaged the back cover of my Iphone 4 (purchased in Taipei, Taiwan when I was living there) and then went to the nearest Apple Store (now that I live in Shanghai) to get it changed... and surprise ! only items purchased in China can be repaired in China... the staff over there, and store manager confirmed, simply advised me to go... back to Taiwan to get it repaired !!! Can you believe that ?

Does anyone know what could be a making sense reason for such a stupid procedure ???

Does anyone know an apple guy who has ever tried to put himself into the shoes of a customer ??? what would he think about that then ???

Posted on May 23, 2013 12:52 AM

5 replies

May 23, 2013 7:55 AM in response to jf.taipei

Phones are different from computers. The current "repair" process is to replace the broken iPhone with a working one. Because there are technical differences for phones in different countries, to be able to "repair" iPhones from different countries, each store would have to stock versions from those other countries, a logistical nightmare, not to mention prohibitively expensive. So, for iPhone repairs, you need to return the phone to the country of purchase.

May 26, 2013 7:18 AM in response to jf.taipei

Yes, to date any repair required for the iPhone was what is referred to as "whole unit replacement". With that process, to "repair" an iPhone purchased in China, a store in Dallas would have to have a Chinese spec iPhone on the shelf. Or a British, Italian, German, Australian, Japanese, etc. How many iPhones just sitting on the shelf, just in case someone shows up with a broken iPhone from another country. A logistical nightmare, not to mention the expense of having thousands of iPhones setting on the shelves of stores around the world. Not my choice of support, but that's what we have.

Why was it done this way? I don't know, Apple hasn't said. Maybe to ensure the customer got a phone that had been repaired and tested. Maybe because it was faster for the customer to give the store a broken phone and get a working one back in a couple of minutes. Who knows, but that's the way it has been. I say "has been" because there have been rumors that may change and they may do some repairs in store, like maybe the back cover. How accurate are those rumors? Your guess is as good as mine. But until Apple changes, we are stuck with what we have.

May 23, 2013 1:13 AM in response to jf.taipei

Couldn't agree more but those are the rules for iPhone serviceing and repairs. It can only be done in the country where it was purchased. It may well be a security issue, but what, I can't imagine.

In any event, damage caused by yourself is not covered by any warranty and you may only be offered a replacement under the exchange scheme for which you will receive a refurbished item. The replacement will however carry a warranty but the cost will be significant.

May 23, 2013 6:24 PM in response to J.K. ROFLing

Just for a back cover to replace ? Come on....obviously they could repair this cover, they have stock for this and don't replace the entire phone for that, but purchased elsewhere so... not possible !

Logistic nightmare ? How about if they would just order the necessary part to be replaced instead of having stock ?

Logistic nightmare ? How do other brands to provide international guarantee ?

Logistic nightmare ? How about for the customer who has to go back to the place where he purchased the phone ?

I am currently using that 4S (the damaged one) when in France and a 5 when in China...and was a fan since a long time, but now really Apple is becoming too arrogant...

How to repair an Iphone purchased in another country ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.