Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S 6.1.3 stuck in dock mode

As the title says, it's stuck in dock mode so there's no volume bar.

Reboot and restore and trying to clean the phone does nothing.

The only way I can get out is by plugging it in and out of a dock.
So that confirms that it's a software issue, thanks Apple.

I think I've been having this issue since I hit iOS6 months back.

However, I don't have dock nearby because it's packed up during

the move. Is there any other fix before my phone meets my fist?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1, BLACK 16GB

Posted on May 24, 2013 1:09 AM

14 replies

May 24, 2013 1:36 AM in response to zachjd

The Basic Troubleshooting Steps are:

Restart... Reset... Restore from Backup... Restore as New...

Restart / Reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Backing up, Updating and Restoring

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

If you try all these steps and you still have issues... Then a Visit to an Apple Store or AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) is the Next Step...

Be sure to make an appointment first...

Jun 30, 2013 10:00 AM in response to eazyd123

Yeah, I believe it's a software issue but I could be wrong. The only way I could fix it is by plugging it into a dock or car charger. I did find a new fix though if you don't have those options. I turned the switch to silence mode, locked the screen and walked away. When I came back, I turned it off and it was fixed, my sound was back. Not exactly sure what I did but that definitely worked. Others things I tried that didn't work are restores, restarts, as well as plugging and unplugging wall chargers, and headphones.

Nov 19, 2013 3:56 PM in response to zachjd

I have actually fixed this and from my VERY basic understanding it's as if the contact points on the connector somehow switch the command round, I.e when the docking port is open- it's in dock mode and when connected it goes to iPhone speaker mode. It's not easy, but the way I did it was to interact with the volume slider on the iPhone while pulling the phone out of the dock just a second before the phone realised it was docked. Like I say not an easy fix and it must have taken me a few attempts before it forced itself back to open -headphones/iPhone speakers and closed for dock connector. Never happened since. Although another possibility is that a connector was bent and while I was docking and re docking straightened it out? Either way never happened since.

Jan 7, 2014 7:05 AM in response to zachjd

I too have this problem. I dock my iPhone on an iHome overnight for charging, and "dock" the phone in my car when driving to work in the morning. The connection to the car causes the phone to go into a pseudo-accessory mode, similar to what happens when it's on the iHome. The phone works well enough, I can make and receive calls, and use almost all other phone features, except playing audio through the speaker. This includes music and videos. Connecting the phone to the dock, and then turning off the dock will restore the phone to "normal" mode for a few minutes, but then the phone reverts back to dock mode. Rebooting the phone hasn't helped. I'm almost willing to restore the phone, but based on this feedback that doesn't seem to resolve the issue. I'm using an iPhone 4S running iOS 7.0.4, Model Firmware 5.0.02.

Jan 23, 2014 9:31 PM in response to zachjd

FOUND A SOLUTION!!! It worked for me.

So the issue is, that the connector is coverred with water/sweat stains... (I was doing lots of sports with arm-band) This makes your iPhone think its in dock-mode. You need to remove it... I guess special calc remover fluid which is used for your smoothing-iron and a soft toothbrush should work. (I actually used vinegar, chemically same effect).

1. turn off iPhone

2. put some of this calc-removing fluid on the toothbrush

3. gently clean the connector

4. repeat if needed (I've done 3-4 times, till got unstuck for sure)

+1. be carefull not to damage connector (I have broken 1-2 pins, but seems not to effect overall work)

+2 wait till all fluid dries, so you dont burn some circuits (wrap your phone in newspaper and put it in warm place)

Hope it will work for you guys.

I think its still better than whot your iService will suggest = changing the motherboard for...

iPhone 4S 6.1.3 stuck in dock mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.