Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.4 and Windows 7 x64 USB Driver Issues

Been pulling my hair out with this one for the last week or so and haven't had any luck finding anything on the forums or the web regarding a solution short of a full reinstall of Windows 7 which I am not prepared to do at this time; so hoping someone here can shine some light on this for me 🙂

I have a iPhone 5 that is updated to iOS 6.1.4 and a recently built Windows 7 64-bit machine. All of my other USB devices function fine (keyboard, mouse, Xbox 360 wireless receiver for Windows, and a Seagate 2TB external USB drive). I've downloaded the most recent version of iTunes, installed successfully and then attempt to plug in my phone to sync. I get the standard Windows *ding* that I've attached a device and 1 of 2 things happens (I haven't been able to determine what causes one reaction to happen versus the other): Windows will successfully install the 'Apple USB Mobile Device Driver' successfully and it will appear under my USB devices in Device Manager. However - iTunes will not recognize the phone and I cannot see it in Windows either. In the 'Devices and Printers' snap-in my iPhone will appear under 'Unspecified Devices' as the 'Apple USB Mobile Device'. The iTunes diagnostics fail to find a connected device so the tests fail. As soon as I unplug the device, the strangest thing happens: Windows will start trying to install a device driver and after a few seconds it will fail stating that the "MTP Device Driver" installation failed because the device was unplugged. iTunes also thrown an error "iTunes cannot connect to this iPhone" throwing error code 0XE8000065 (I've also seen error code 0XE8000085 as well)

After some finagling, I've managed to get Windows to recognize the device under 'Portable Devices' in Device Manager as an "MTP USB Device" using the generic driver. At this point, I've tried updating the driver and manually specifying the Apple USB driver located in the C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Drivers which updates successfully but then changes the device to "Apple USB Mobile Device" and moves it under the USB Devices in Device Manager; and Windows nor iTunes can see it even still.

I've tried removing iTunes several times and ensuring that all remnants of the installation are gone (registry and folders on the installation drive) and have disconnected all my USB devices short of the keyboard and mouse and still I get the same results. At this point, I'm afraid that a re-install of Windows is going to be the solution; but it's a drastic one (I have a SSD drive where Windows is installed along with all of my games for faster load times/better performance and do not want to have to redownload\reinstall all of them) and I'm not prepared to undertake it at this time, which is why I'm posting here 🙂

I've used a utility called USBDeview that sees my phone is connected - so I know from a functional standpoint that my USB ports are good and working. I also know the cable is good too - my daughter's PC (Windows 7 32-bit with NO iTunes) immediately sees the device when I plug it in, installs the drivers, recognizes it as an iPhone and I can then see/browse it in Windows Explorer like I would normally expect. My work PC (Windows 7 64bit, NO iTunes) sees the device just fine as well. I would immensely appreciate anyone that has seen this issue or has any additional solutions I can try.

It's also worth mentioning that I've never used Kapersky antivirus so the UPPERFILTERS value in the registry that I've seen as a solution on some forums is not present on my machine. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials as my antivirus (no flaming please lol - it meets my needs and is extremely lightweight, which is why I'm using it on a gaming rig) and it's not indicating any issues. I've also tried running iTunes as an administrator (even though my account is a local admin on the machine) and that does not have any effect either.

If there is anything I left out, please let me know; and I thank you in advance!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 24, 2013 8:55 PM

5 replies

Mar 2, 2016 2:15 AM in response to AphexTwin

Got SUCCESS following the below method : (just put it step wise what i did)

Hope it will work !!! (If it works, please like my reply)

..::STEPS::..

1) Click Windows Start/Home button

2) Type "devmgmt.msc" at the search (without quotes) textbox. Or go to device manager from control panel Or Right-Click on My Computer>Properties, Choose "Device Manager" from the left pane..

3) Expand "Universal Serial Bus Controller".

4) While iphone is connected, click the unknown device.

5) Right click the same and click on Update Driver Software

6) Click the second option "Browse my computer for driver software".

7) Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

8) Click on "Have Disk" button.

9) Browse to the the path "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers"

10) Select "usbaapl.inf"

11) Now select "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" under list of hardware model section.

12) It will add "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" under "Universal Serial Bus Controller"

13) Restart your computer.

iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.4 and Windows 7 x64 USB Driver Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.