Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unlocked iphone 5 ios 6.1.4 activation

hi i have a unlocked iphone 5 uk i have had a o2 sim and a t mobile sim in the phone previously, recently i restored to ios 6.1.4 and put a three sim in the iphone at the set up progress language>country>etc it shows my phone has signal with the bars shown and the 3G signal comes on as well (surely this shows the sim has been recognized) but at activation it says 'this iphone is not currently setup to work with the carrier youre attempting to use. please insert another sim card from a supported carrier or request that this iphone be unlocked' what the??!!?!? im sure you used to be able to set up through itunes until a sim card arrives😠 when plugged into itunes it says the same message ive tried it through wifi no luck and ive tried it through mobile data (again showing that the sim has been recognized) any help????

iPad, iOS 6

Posted on May 26, 2013 1:50 AM

13 replies

May 26, 2013 6:31 AM in response to kieseary

The device is not unlocked based on the message that is displaying.

What leads you to believe the device is unlocked?
Was it purchased as unlocked from Apple (the only source of unlocked devices in the UK)?

Was it unlocked by the carrier?

I suspect it was hacked or jailbroken to unlock based on your posting, in which case no support can be provided via these forums.

May 26, 2013 8:59 AM in response to diesel vdub

I bought it from cex they sold it as a unlocked iphone ive never jailbroken it. After the restore I also noticed that when it comes up to set the language it doesn't show the languages floating past it just has a list and when I get to country it doesnt show the map floating past just a list and when it comes to wifi and it says cellular data then when I click start over and get back to the wifi screen it says mobile data ive restored a few times. I think theres a problem with the software

May 27, 2013 8:56 AM in response to kieseary

Having a warranty has nothing to do with whether it is locked to a carrier or not. If you call Apple they can tell you if it is locked to a carrier or if it is unlocked.

Note that in the UK you can purchase SIM-FREE iPhones. This does NOT mean they are unlocked; they can be activated with any carrier, but once activated they become locked to that carrier. Carphone Warehouse is famous for passing off SIM-free phones as unlocked, even though they have this restriction.

May 27, 2013 9:11 AM in response to kieseary

I saw that you said it had worked with both O2 and T-Mobile, but then I didn't take that into consideration when I answered. That should mean that it is unlocked. To the best of my knowledge there has yet to be a jailbreak for the iPhone 5 that allows it to be unlocked (unless it happened very recently), so you are correct on that. I would still call Apple or visit an Apple store to confirm that it is unlocked.

After confirming that it is unlocked make sure the 3 SIM you have is provisioned for an iPhone; not all SIMs will be. And call 3 for help in verifying that it is.

One last thing, if you have ever used your computer to hack or jailbreak any iDevice its network database may be corrupted. You can check this by looking in the hosts file. If it contains any lines referencing gs.apple.com you need to delete those lines.

Mac: /etc/hosts

Windows: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

May 27, 2013 3:24 PM in response to wegras

right so basically someone has bought a iphone from carphone warehouse, for example used a O2 sim and the iphone is now locked to o2, this person has gone to cex traded the phone in as 'unlocked' and ive bought it even though it is locked? ive managed to get hold of a tmobile sim of someone at work and this does the same shows the signal bars and 3g but cant get past activation, so i assume first sim was a o2 now locked to o2

unlocked iphone 5 ios 6.1.4 activation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.