Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

att cannot find iphone 3gs for unlock. claims ALREADY unlocked. huh?

hi all.

i have an old iphone 3gs. the ohone was an att contract phne from a person whi sold it to me who abandonded their contract back in 2010 and it is on iOS 4.0

i tried to request an unlock from att and the automated system asked me to fax a retail reciept which i do not have.

i called att today and they say the hone has been factory unlocked.. well sort of, heres what the att tech support says:

1. this phone is factory unlocked

i tell her its been SOFTWARE unlocked but i fear an itunes update will undo that.

2. well actually, the phone isnt in out system. this isnt an att phone.

i tell her that this was a launch day phone, i was at the apple store with the person who boght it. asked her if a warranty exchange with apple would have the phone not show up in the att system.

3. well ou can update it and take your chances but next time dont buy a phone from anywhere but att.

how can this hine that has been using a tmobile sim for a while not show up at all.

what avenue do i have to get to ios 6 if i risk losing my unlock thats via software?

Posted on May 27, 2013 9:21 AM

12 replies

May 27, 2013 7:50 PM in response to stevencampbellfitness

So send them the proof of purchase and go through the unlock procedure. But if AT&T is saying it is showing as unlocked it is possible your friend went through one of the backdoor unlock services. Call AppleCare, or make a Genius Bar appointment at your nearest Apple Store, give them the model and serial number and tell them you want to check the lock status on the iPhone.

May 27, 2013 8:03 PM in response to stevencampbellfitness

I had a really long reply, but it did not show up.

I assume the talk of alternate app stores and naming them is the reason for this.

Apple Store visit with the genius

So, spoke to a genius:

PROBLEM:

Att cannot see the device in their system. It was purchased at THIS VERY STORE and i want to get it officially unlocked so i may upgrade to a newer version of ios.

The phone has been SOFTWARE UNLOCKED via a tool that is found on the internet via unauthorized means.

Thats fine, it is way way way out of warranty anyhow.

The Genius tells me:

Good news. We see this is indeed an att device, it was purchased here on June 27th 2009. The bad news is that it has already been unlocked.

To make things worse, the installation of an alternate OS (the genius actually did call this "other" app store an entire operating system) means that you will not be able to restore your phone without the risk of permanently rendering your phone unusable.

The fact it shows unlocked is because you installed this alternate unauthorized software, this has changed something in the phone and it now shows unlocked.

What I ask (cause you know, I am a dumb consumer)

Doesnt a restore bring you back to square one? Like get rid of ALL data on there? I mean, then the phone SHOULD show locked, and I can get it UNLOCKED properly right?

She Answers

No, because that alternate software will likely prevent a restore from being completed. Your device would be rendered unusable.

OF NOTE:

• The genius was cool enough to get me a slip that shows it was purcahsed at that apple store June 27th, 2009
  • I am pretty frustrated with her answers but understand the Apple corporate view on that software and the like
  • I am in no way whatsoever looking for "Free" service for an out of warranty device that has had its warranty voided, so dont go and lecture me lol

So, thats that. I suppose I could restore the phone (yes, it can be restored) which will likely relock it, and then try my hand at unlocking legitimately... This however means that I will have a phone that is useless if i cannot find a proper hardware unlock via att and on top of that CANNOT software unlock it.

ROCK -- ME -- HARDPLACE

meh.

want to add:

the phone is going overseas to the philippines, and i want to donate it to family there. I also want them to be bullet proof in case they must restore or service the phone and not need to mess around to get it working on a Filipino network.

Message was edited by: stevencampbellfitness

May 27, 2013 8:00 PM in response to deggie

No, I hear you... the device though was not never ever "unlocked" via any means other than the free software available without purchase, that involves installing stuff on the device that voids the warranty.

Thats what is messing me up.

1. I ran a tool on this before it was software unlocked with the free software. The tool said "already unlocked" so i put in a tmobile sim, and had no luck at all.

2. Software unlocks should not cause att and apple to see the IMEI number as an unlocked device. It should TRICK the iOS into thinking there is an unlock present.

hence why when they run the IMEI though the servers, it shows unlocked but shouldnt.

May 27, 2013 8:02 PM in response to stevencampbellfitness

That is not exactly correct. If Apple's database shows the iPhone is unlocked then the phone is indeed unlocked. I suggest you call AppleCare, tell them you are only calling for a confirmation, and give them the model and serial number. If they say their records show the iPhone is unlocked then your jailbreak is not an issue.

Next you will need to put it in DFU mode and restore the iPhone (a simple restore will not clear it). As it is a 3Gs if it contains a certain chipset you will need to take additional steps. Use Google to find out.

May 27, 2013 8:12 PM in response to stevencampbellfitness

Yes, when you unlock an iPhone through any carrier they process it through Apple who changes their database and I don't believe I contradicted myself. AT&Ts records can show an unlock was approved by them but if it was never completed by the user Apple's database could still show it as locked.

Personnally I would chuck this phone and get a new one. Since T-Mobile is now an authorized iPhone carrier you may have problems with their carrier settings.

att cannot find iphone 3gs for unlock. claims ALREADY unlocked. huh?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.