Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My laptop was stolen but "Find My Mac" has located it. Now how do I get it back?

Hi All,

Early this morning, a friend of mine called me to tell me her laptop was stolen. She asked me to help her track it using iCloud find my mac. The theives also stole her wallet and other things from her car so this isn't something that was just misplaced and an innocent person came across it. My question is, now that I know where it is (within a couple hundred feet vicinity) what is the best approach I can use to get this back for my friend? She's got years of family pictures and does not have the laptop backed up so this is very important to her. Any ideas?

It shows the laptop around 4200 S Wade Way (about 3260 w), West Valley City, Ut

Please, any advise would help!

Thanks,

Caleb

User uploaded file

Posted on May 30, 2013 11:27 PM

9 replies

May 30, 2013 11:52 PM in response to Kappy

Well, I did contact the police with all this information. They actually went to one of the houses with me (the one on the corner) and it was an old man who was very polite who lived at home alone and didn't seem like the type. Instead of knocking on the other doors with me, the police said, "Your locating program is probably just wrong and it's not here." he wouldn't knock on any other doors so I plan on going tomorrow morning and knocking but the chances of anyone confessing are slim so I don't know what approach to go at with them. I don't know why find my mac doesn't let you leave a message like find my iPhone because I would leave a message saying "this mac has been misplaced. If you return it, the owner will reward you with $500 without pressing charges or asking how you came across the laptop. Please call -------, but, no. All I can do is knock. lol

May 31, 2013 12:47 AM in response to Caleb Kingston

Are you seriously going to go round knocking on doors accusing the occupants of being thieves? At best you'll be told to shove off; quite possibly you'll get beaten up. I understand your desire to do something about this but what you are proposing is extremely ill-advised.

Leave it to the police - presumably you've filled in a report and given them the serial number. Inform you insurance company.

May 31, 2013 12:49 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

lol. It's not an accusation if I simply inform them my laptop has been misplaced and was located around the vicinity of their home and ask them if they happened to have come across it and would like $500 for the safe return. As of right now, any option is a better option than letting it go. The content on the laptop is worth more to the owner than the price of the laptop and it's worth the risks at hand.

May 31, 2013 1:04 AM in response to Caleb Kingston

Caleb Kingston wrote:

It's not an accusation if I simply inform them my laptop has been misplaced and was located around the vicinity of their home and ask them if they happened to have come across it and would like $500 for the safe return.

Your decision.

The content on the laptop is worth more to the owner than the price of the laptop

You mean you didn't back it up?

Do you know what ways I could get the serial number of my laptop

Where did you buy it? Do you have the receipt? If the Apple online Store try logging into your account and see whether there is a 'previous purchases' list.

My laptop was stolen but "Find My Mac" has located it. Now how do I get it back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.