Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help setting up my Apple wireless network so that there are no conflicts with IP addresses for any of my devices.

I have 2 Airport Extreme Base Stations, 1 is a 5th generation 802.11n and 1 is a 2nd generation 802.11n. I have 2 Extreme Express Base Stations which are 2nd generation 802.11a/n. The idea is to create a network that works throughout my 2 story house and extend into the garage. It's not a large house 1400 sq ft wood construction. The internet feed comes into the Hughes Net modem upstairs. This is where I want the main base station (5th generation). I eventually will connect a network drive and printer to it. I then want to place the second base station in the room directly under the upstairs room where the main base station is and connect my desk top computer to it. In the living room I will have one of the Express Base Stations connected to the Micro Cell and house stereo system. In the garage (50' away from the living room Express Station & 75' from the Main Base Station) I will place the other Extreme Express Base Station to be connected to the garage stereo system. All of this is with the idea to extend the range of my network for all my devices and airplay to my stereo systems.

Ok, so I have a lot of wireless devices. 2 2nd geneartion iPads, 2 iPhone 4s's, 3 Wi-Fi enabled Sony TVs, Apple TV (near the house stereo Extreme Express), AT&T Micro Cell connected to house stereo Extreme Express, Lorex Security DVR system (connected to main base station upstairs), Whole-House DTV Network system,1 Macintosh Quicksilver Desktop computer, 1 MacBook Pro, and 1 Mac AirBook. As you can see I need a lot of DHCP IP addresses.

So, how do I go about setting this all up? I have read countless articles and discussions but I still have conflicts. It usually mostly, but not limited to, effects my wife's AirBook. Not good at all! 😟 I used to have a WDS setup but I understand that the 802.11n Airport Extreme's do not support this. And when I try to distribute a range of IP addresses I run into problems. So can someone please help me resolve this headache?

Posted on May 31, 2013 9:53 AM

4 replies

May 31, 2013 10:46 AM in response to Heatherdowns

Configure the Extreme connected to the Hughes Net modem as your router. In other words in AirPort Utility, Network tab > Router Mode should be set to "DHCP and NAT". It will provide IP addresses to all the devices on your network.

All other AirPort devices on your network should be configured as bridges: Router Mode "Off".

You may want to configure static IP addresses for any equipment that is likely to be permanently installed. For them, there is no reason to have the Extreme issue an IP address, and they can keep the same one forever.

The Microcell may be able to connect to the Express's LAN port such devices that have to handle voice or other real time audio or video streaming are generally best installed using a strictly wired connection. The same applies to the Sony TV and AppleTV. Keep them on a wired LAN served by the Extreme, avoiding any reliance on a wireless link if at all possible.

The way to implement a complex network like yours is to add one device at a time. Ensure it connects reliably, then add another. You have a lot of work to do.

WDS can be implemented even with new Extremes but its performance is likely to be so unacceptable that it would be nothing more than an exercise in frustration for you.

I need help setting up my Apple wireless network so that there are no conflicts with IP addresses for any of my devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.