Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4s microphone, speaker and ear jack doesn't work.

Noticed hissing on speaker when trying to use the microphone feature on texting, and a couple of days later the microphone, speaker or earphones do not work. Can't hear ringtones and can barely feel the vibration for a notification of a message. I can place a call, but the receiver doesn't hear me or I them. Called verizon support to no avail. The phone is only a year and a half old. Anyone no anything about this? I didn't drop it or get it wet. It's been in a heavy duty otterbox since I bought it.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on May 31, 2013 7:00 PM

1 reply

Jun 3, 2013 7:28 AM in response to gary kfromchoudrant

Hi gary,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with the sound on your iPhone.

I would suggest removing the iPhone from the Otterbox and trying these troubleshooting steps:

iPhone: Can't hear through the receiver or speakers

Resolution

1. Verify that there is nothing plugged in to the headset jack, including headsets, headphones, or adapters.
  2. Make sure the Ring/Silent switch is not switched to silent.
  3. While on the Home screen, adjust the volume buttons. If you see the icon below, indicating that headphones are attached, there may be debris or an object lodged in the headset jack:
  4. Check the headset jack. If there is an object lodged in the headset jack that is not easily removed, have the iPhone serviced to remove object.
  5. For Original iPhone: If there is light debris, such as lint, in the headset jack, try connecting a pair of headphones to the headset jack and then remove the headphones. Repeat this several times to remove the debris.
  6. If you have installed a protective film on the display, either ensure that the receiver is not covered or remove the film completely.
  7. Check the receiver mesh (which is on the top front of the device, above the display). If it appears blocked, use a clean, small, dry, soft-bristled brush to carefully and gently brush away any debris.
  8. If you have paired with a Bluetooth headset that is nearby, either use the headset or turn Bluetooth off (choose Settings > General > Bluetooth).
  9. Restart the iPhone.
  10. If restarting the iPhone doesn't resolve the issue, try restoring the device.
  11. If the issue persists, go to the Service Answer Center - iPhone for information on service.

iPhone: Sound muffled or low from the speaker or when speaking into the mic

1. Check the volume setting on your iPhone. You can adjust the volume by pressing the volume up and down buttons on the left side of the iPhone.
  2. If you are using a third-party iPhone case, make sure it is not covering the speaker, microphone, or top microphone. Try making some calls without the case to see if a caller can now hear you more clearly or play music to see if the speaker's volume is better.
  3. If you have not removed the plastic display film used for protection during shipment, either ensure that the microphone and speaker are not covered or remove the film completely.
  4. Check that the speaker, microphone mesh covers, and top microphone hole are not clogged with lint or other debris.
  5. If the speaker, microphone mesh, or top microphone (iPhone 4 only) appear clogged, please use a clean, small, dry, soft-bristled brush to clean them. To do this follow these instructions:
    • Use the brush to carefully and gently brush the speaker and microphone mesh.
    • Brush away from the 30-pin dock connector to avoid getting any debris into the dock connector.

If the issue persists, go to: apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/for information on service.

Hope this helps!

- Judy

Iphone 4s microphone, speaker and ear jack doesn't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.