Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound/Volume Control Not Working on Macbook Pro

I have a late 2009/early 2010 Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard (fully updated), and recently I had the tip of the headphones snap off in the audio jack. When I restarted the computer after trying to remove the tip, my sound icon was grayed out.

User uploaded file

Since the sound icon is grayed out, I cannot adjust the volume or get any sound to play from the computer speakers. When I try, I get this:

User uploaded file

However, the startup chime still plays fine, so I know the speakers are still working. So far I've tried:

1. Resetting the PRAM several times ([url]http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1372430[/url])

2. Renaming the /Library/Preferences/Audio folder, restarting, and repairing disk permission with Disk Utility ([url]https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3240465?start=0&tstart=0[/url])

3. Starting the computer while holding down the spacebar

4. Resetting the SMC ([url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US[/url])

As pictured below, I only have "Digital Out", I don't have the expected "Line Out" or "Internal Speakers" option, so I can't change anything in System Preferences.

User uploaded file

It should be noted that I could not get the tip of the headphones out - it's still in the audio jack. When I push the broken half of the headphones in so that it makes contact with the tip, the speaker icon becomes black again and I get the Headphones option in System Preferences, however, no sound comes through the headphones or out the speakers.

User uploaded file

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 11:38 AM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2013 12:38 PM in response to BookBeetle

Is the broken tip of the headphone stuck inside the port?

If so, you have to remove it.

Sound output is stuck in digital mode.

Once it is out, if you see red light in the headphone port, plug the headphone

in and out of the port 5 or 6 times to flip the microswitch inside.

Soundflower can also cause this problem.

Uninstall it, that may help.

Best.

Jun 2, 2013 1:27 PM in response to dominic23

It is stuck (this is probably the problem, since Soundflower isn't) - unfortunately I CAN'T remove it. Several friends and I have been trying for a couple days now. It's an extremely small piece and it broke off in such a way that it has to be pulled over a ridge in order to come out. We've tried gluing various things to it, picking at it with small metal things, even a very tiny drill bit. Nothing can gain any purchase, and there's no way to gain better access to it without taking the port itself off the motherboard.

If the startup chime can still go through the normal speakers, shouldn't there be some way to manually set it off of digital mode?

Sound/Volume Control Not Working on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.