Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase data on non working iPhone 4?

I have an iPhone4 that stopped working and was replaced a while back. The phone powers up and shows the background photo that was initially set and also the "slide to unlock" function and a "waiting for activation: message. The problem is that the touch screen will not respond in order to slide and unlock. The phone is in great physical shape with no scratches or dents and shows up in iTunes and iPhoto with all msic, photos, and apps. I would like to sell it to someone that might could repair or use for parts, but I would like to erase all personal data before selling.

Is there any way to erase the data without being able to unlock the phone? I am thinking perhaps a key press sequence or maybe a reset from iTunes.

Better yet anyone know an easy fix for a non responsive touch screen?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Moore

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 10:44 AM

You can use iCloud.com 's "Find My iPhone" service to remotely wipe the device. Either that or just connect it to your computer and wipe it using iTunes.

You can force iTunes to wipe it if you have a passcode lock on the phone that you are unable to enter because of the screen being broken by putting the device into DFU mode.

To do this enter the following sequence, please note that once you put your iPhone into DFU mode then you HAVE TO CONNECT IT TO ITUNES IN ORDER TO GET OUT OF THIS MODE!

1. Make sure the iPhone is turned on.
  2. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button for 3 seconds.
  3. Keep holding the Sleep/Wake button then hold down the Home button for 10 seconds.
  4. Release the Sleep/Wake button while still holding down the Home button for 15 seconds.
  5. Connect the iPhone to your computer.
  6. Restore the device.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2013 10:44 AM in response to Michael Moore1

You can use iCloud.com 's "Find My iPhone" service to remotely wipe the device. Either that or just connect it to your computer and wipe it using iTunes.

You can force iTunes to wipe it if you have a passcode lock on the phone that you are unable to enter because of the screen being broken by putting the device into DFU mode.

To do this enter the following sequence, please note that once you put your iPhone into DFU mode then you HAVE TO CONNECT IT TO ITUNES IN ORDER TO GET OUT OF THIS MODE!

1. Make sure the iPhone is turned on.
  2. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button for 3 seconds.
  3. Keep holding the Sleep/Wake button then hold down the Home button for 10 seconds.
  4. Release the Sleep/Wake button while still holding down the Home button for 15 seconds.
  5. Connect the iPhone to your computer.
  6. Restore the device.

Jun 12, 2013 2:24 PM in response to Flying Squidwolf

Thanks Flying Squidwolf!

I did not have a password lock, so I connected to iTunes as you suggested and iTunes recommended to update the iOS before resetting the phone. I went through the process of updating and after it was finished I attempted to unlock (swipe the arrow) one more time before resetting and it worked. Apparently updating the iOS fixed what ever was causing the touch screen not to respond. I now have a working iPhone4.

Again Thanks for your help!

Mike Moore

Erase data on non working iPhone 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.