Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to access App store from my MacBook Pro for new OS updates

I have a Macbook Pro circa 2010. My current OS is 10.7.5. Since the last iteration of the operating system and the emergence of the App Store I have been unable to connect, log in to update my OS. I only got to 10.7 by paying extra to have Apple ship me a thumb drive but since then, no physical media available.

Hours have been spent discussing this with Apple tech and no solution, no resolution, over a two year period. The App Store appears in my dock and responds but any attempt to access is a dead end.

Go to a Genuis Bar? I live in the U.S. Virgin Islands and no such help is available here. Apple has confirmed on numerous occasions that my geographic location is not blocking me from updates.

Now, with the announced release of Maverik, I'm falling further behind in OS capability after having spent the premium money on the equipment. Is there help out there for someone like me trapped with no OS updates?

I have full access to iTunes and applications for my iPhone, iPad and applications on my laptop. Forget how may thousands of dollars I am in the hole on my AAPL holdings, I can't even update my OS!

Thanks for any clues that might lead toward resolution. The MacBook Pro 15" was purchased from Power Max, in the N.W. U.S. and shipped directly to me, here in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Tomas

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 6:37 AM

Resolution!

At long last, a discussion with Apple Support led to a solution late yesterday. The support supervisor deduced that the issue must be a "user" issue. That is, he felt that something in my primary user account was corrupted and the corruption had survived even past OS updates.

We created a Straw user, logged in as that user and I was able to log into the App Store and download Mountain Lion under that account. The download and install took until early this AM but was successful and obviously, when I log back in as the primary user, the new OS is present. I tried to log back into the App Store under the primary, after the update and still no go. This doesn't matter because I can update my OS in the future and purchase other applications under the Straw account and use them as the Primary.

This may seem like a doahhh solution but it had eluded me and Apple for going on two years.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2013 6:37 AM in response to Christiansted

Resolution!

At long last, a discussion with Apple Support led to a solution late yesterday. The support supervisor deduced that the issue must be a "user" issue. That is, he felt that something in my primary user account was corrupted and the corruption had survived even past OS updates.

We created a Straw user, logged in as that user and I was able to log into the App Store and download Mountain Lion under that account. The download and install took until early this AM but was successful and obviously, when I log back in as the primary user, the new OS is present. I tried to log back into the App Store under the primary, after the update and still no go. This doesn't matter because I can update my OS in the future and purchase other applications under the Straw account and use them as the Primary.

This may seem like a doahhh solution but it had eluded me and Apple for going on two years.

Unable to access App store from my MacBook Pro for new OS updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.