Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I got my iPhone 5 wet but it wasn't on. Can I just put it in a bag of rice? Will there be any damage?

I really hope it'll be okay. I put it in a bag of rice with the SIM card also in the bag of rice. Since it wasn't on, there won't be any damage, right?

If I take it out in 2 days, will it be okay?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 12:49 PM

7 replies

Jun 18, 2013 1:40 PM in response to JohnnyRH

I fell into a pool with my iphone 4 in my pocket.

Phone was completely wet.

I have put a pound of salt into a small plastic back and laid the iphone on the salt.

Sim card slot open.

Closed the bag and put in the warmest place in my house.

After on night I could switch it on again, but I thought 2 or 3 days drying wont hurt.

Now it is like before !

Guess this can work often, but luckily pool water is quite clean.

If it is salt or lake water, I would submerge it in distilled water before drying it.

BUT, like the others said, I was probably lucky, theres is no guarantee !

Good luck !

Jun 19, 2013 1:25 PM in response to MiGi68

Bad idea. Salt is corrosive and can cause even more damage if the salt migrates into the iPhone along with water. The best way to handle water infiltration is to put the iPhone in a bag of silca pellets or other dessicant intended for use with electronics. A bag of dry, uncooked rice is an alternative, though less effective. Neither, though, can protect against possible damage due to the high concentration of chlorine and other chemicals found in most pool water.

Regards.

I got my iPhone 5 wet but it wasn't on. Can I just put it in a bag of rice? Will there be any damage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.