Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to override built in iSight camera for another Logitech webcam

Enjoy the built in iSight camera in MacBook Pro. But sometimes want bigger pic, more flexible pic than built in camera gives. I have webcam camera, but the iSight camera is chosen by computer by default. How can i override the iSight and choose the Logitech webcam?

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 6:08 AM

1 reply

Jul 11, 2013 7:55 AM in response to Ben1948

(1) Don't install any software that may have come with the external cam. Provided that your Mac is running Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later, your Mac already contains all driver software necessary for any Mac compatible camera.

(2) To use the external camera, simply connect it to your Mac.

If it has an on/off switch, switch to the on position.

How you select between connected cameras depends on the app you are using.

With more than one working camera recognized by your system, most camera-capable applications have settings that allow you to choose which camera to use. However, they do not all work the same way. Here follow some examples:

• iMovie 9 ('11) uses a choices bar in the "Import from Camera" window:

User uploaded file

More info: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2155

• For Messages/iChat, you can choose which iSight you use in the "Camera:" choices bar in iChat > Preferences... > Audio/Video that appears when more than one compatible camera is connected. Although your camera choices will be different, the choices bar will look something similar to the Preferences settings shown here:

  User uploaded file

• Photo Booth uses the Photo Booth > Camera menu command to select which camera to use. Remember, camera choice for any app will be available only if more than one working camera is recognized by your system. With only one camera, the choices will not be visible.

• For FaceTime, if your Mac recognizes more than one connected compatible camera, a "Camera" section listing the cameras from which you can choose will appear there. Clicking on the desired camera name will let you select the one you want as shown in this image from my Mac Pro and LED Cinema Display:

User uploaded file

If your Mac recognizes only one compatible camera, the "Camera" section will not appear in the Video menu, but FaceTime will automatically use the connected camera that is recognized by OS X.

• QuickTimeX uses Preferences to select between connected cameras.

QTX video Preference settings are visible only when you have a new video recording window open. The image below shows how to access QTX video Preferences from an open video recording window:

    User uploaded file

Note that only one webcam (iSight) is shown in this image because I had only one camera connected to my Mac at the time. When more than one compatible camera is connected, you will see the additional camera name and can select it in this menu.

• For cameras connected via Flash browser plugins, control-click on an open video window and adjust the camera settings to select between a connected USB and Firewire video camera:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help04.html

• For other apps, launch an app and check the app's menu items or Help to find out how to select between connected cameras.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.4

how to override built in iSight camera for another Logitech webcam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.