Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocked att iphone 5 on tmobile LTE problem

Hello you guys(: i was just wondering if anyone knew about the Tmobile LTE problem the iphone 5 is unlocked from att its currently on tmobile and necause the lady at tmobile told me my iphone wouldnt be able to get 4g but i went on the computer and i got the apple update for the carrier and i did and it gets 4g now but i enabled the LTE and everywhere i go its on 4g or EDGE network no LTE havent seen it:/

My iphone is a model A1428

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, Unlocket from att To tmobile

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 9:35 AM

The A1428 model phone does not support the LTE frequencies of T-Mobile. You would need the A1429 model, from my understanding.

15 replies

Jul 26, 2013 9:36 AM in response to Timmybm

I have a business iPhone 5 with T-Mobile and T-Mobile has LTE available in some areas where I live, but it is very spotty at best. I can watch my iPhone 5 switch from LTE to 4G to EDGE and back again sitting in the same place. I wasn't responsible for choosing T-Mobile but had I been responsible, they would not have been chosen.

Contact T-Mobile.

Jul 26, 2013 10:03 AM in response to gdgmacguy

I don't believe so, no. The A1428 GSM that's being sold in the US now supports AT&T and T-Mobile, including LTE. AT&T or unlocked iPhone 5's sold in the US prior to when T-Mobile became a supported carrier will not work on thier "4G" network (not LTE). They will work on the Edge, 3G and LTE networks (where T-Mobile has compatible 3G coverage).

The AT&T phone will never display a "3G" indicator. If it's connected to Edge, you will see "E". If it's connected to 3G, you will see "4G". If it's connected to an HSPA+ network, you will see "4G". T-Mobile's (non-LTE) 4G network is not compatible with the older iPhone 5's, but you will still see "4G" if you are connected to their 3G network while using a phone that was originally sold for AT&T in the US.

I think...

If I've misstated something in there, I'm sure someone will come in and correct me. There was a lot of confusion when T-Mo went live as a supported carrier. Personally, it didn't matter much to me as T-Mobile has such lousy coverage in my experience, that I would never consider them as an option.

Jul 26, 2013 10:10 AM in response to KiltedTim

Well i hope my model does support LTE because all i see is 4g or EDGE never seem LTE on it before

Also my aunt has Tmobile and she uses a galaxy s2 right now and at out place where we live has really good coverage and also on her phone its only 4G but im not sure if the galaxy s2 supports LTE well cant remember:/ but thanks anyways

Jan 30, 2014 11:49 PM in response to Timmybm

Same thing for me, Unlocked iPhone 5 A1428 (originally AT&T) on 7.0.4 with newest Tmobile carrier update (15.6). The phone wont connect to my local T-Mobile LTE network unless I toggle LTE off then back on in settings. It stays on LTE for a while (13-17mb/s), but then defaults back to 4G network (3-7mb/s). ANyone know why it won't stay connected/automatically connect to the LTE network? And before anyone says the AT&T phone cant access T-Mobile's LTE network, yes it can. Band 4. Thanks for any help.

Mar 17, 2015 5:13 AM in response to ch1vo

I am enjoying T-mobile LTE on my AT&T unlocked iPhone 5 A1428 and my phone was manufactured before April 2012. I think there was a carrier update from Apple that fixed LTE cause when I connected to iTunes after the unlock it said there was a new one so I installed it. I then had to go into cellular setting and Enable LTE as well as Reset Setting in Cellular Data Network. Happy surfing.

Unlocked att iphone 5 on tmobile LTE problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.