Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Current iPhone 5 software -> iOS 7 question!!

I know the iOS 7 on the iPhone will come out this fall. Would I be able to buy the iPhone now and then the software will show it needs to update to iOS 7 once the new software comes out, or will I have to pay for the iOS 7 software?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 8:01 AM

There has never been a charge for iOS updates. No reason to think they'll charge for iOS 7

9 replies

Aug 9, 2013 9:54 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

But gdgmacguy is correct. Apple has NEVER charged for an iOS update in the past, very doubtful they will for this version.

For my iPod Touch I had to pay for the early IOS updates - but the latest updates to IOS 5 and 6 have been free.

So I was informed over in the Lounge, leonie. Caught me by surprise. I've never had to pay for an iOS update on any of my devices over the years. I suspect there will be no charge for iOS 7, since that would be more in keeping with recent practice. But obviously I was mistaken, and there is precedence for it.

Aug 9, 2013 10:33 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

But gdgmacguy is correct. Apple has NEVER charged for an iOS update in the past, very doubtful they will for this version.

For my iPod Touch I had to pay for the early IOS updates - but the latest updates to IOS 5 and 6 have been free.

iPod touch, yes, but Apple has never charged for an iOS update for the iPhone. Prior to sometime in 2010, the iPod Touch was in a different category of revenue than the iPhone, so was charged. All that is over with for some time now and recent iOS upgrades have been free for all iOS devices (that are supported in the upgrade that is, obviously).

Current iPhone 5 software -> iOS 7 question!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.