Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My cat likes to lick and chew on iPhone charging cables. What does Apple coat their cables with?

My cat likes to lick and chew on iPhone charging cables. Only Apple cables, she is not attracted to any others in our home. Has anyone else had this happen.

The Kindle and iPhone cables are right next to each other. She only likes the Apple cable leaving the Kindle cable untouched.

What does Apple coat their cables with?

Thanks in advance

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 8:59 PM

I'll go ahead and suggest it. My cat has chewed (and destroyed) the following:

--two sets of my brother's Apple ear buds

--two sets of my boyfriend's Apple ear buds

--three sets of my own Apple ear buds

-- one Macbook power cord ($80+ to replace)

I went into the Apple store Friday to buy a new power cord. I said to the genius helping me, "I didn't even have that cord for a year. Ye know what happened to it?"

Genius said, "Your cat ate it?"

They're aware of the issue!

WTH secret ingredient is Apple using? My story is no different than the others: cat leaves all other cords alone; seeks out and destroys Apple cords.

The only thing I know for sure is that Apple makes money on cord replacements.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2014 8:59 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

I'll go ahead and suggest it. My cat has chewed (and destroyed) the following:

--two sets of my brother's Apple ear buds

--two sets of my boyfriend's Apple ear buds

--three sets of my own Apple ear buds

-- one Macbook power cord ($80+ to replace)

I went into the Apple store Friday to buy a new power cord. I said to the genius helping me, "I didn't even have that cord for a year. Ye know what happened to it?"

Genius said, "Your cat ate it?"

They're aware of the issue!

WTH secret ingredient is Apple using? My story is no different than the others: cat leaves all other cords alone; seeks out and destroys Apple cords.

The only thing I know for sure is that Apple makes money on cord replacements.

Dec 17, 2013 10:51 AM in response to photo_al

Honesty this is an issue with me. Our cat has destroyed several pairs of Apple earbuds at great cost -- only likes the "rubbery" Apple-style cords and leaves other brands alone. I'm at the point now of having to buy non-Apple earbuds. I've covered my Apple powercord with a plastic sheath, or it would have bitten the dust too. This is a legitimate problem.

Dec 17, 2013 11:31 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

No, not at all. I'm just saying that our cat is attracted soley to Apple cords, no other brands. The Apple cords do have a uniquely soft and "rubbery" texture that cats (at least ours) seem to like to chew on. But no, I'm not holding Apple responsible for this. Not asking for money back. Just saying that I've decided I have no choice but to stop buying Apple cords/earbuds.

Dec 23, 2013 8:56 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Thanks! We have similar prioducts in England: I've lost about 5 Apple cords to my Daughter's cat. Every time he comes to stay, he finds them - and ONLY the white Apple cords. I really wish they would figure this out and remove whatever it is that causes the attraction. My main worry is that he'll chew one while it's plugged in and electrocute himself! He doesn't just lick them, he chews them. I'm off to buy some cat repellant. I hope it works.

Jan 22, 2017 4:23 PM in response to kezaezy

My cat just chewed his THIRD Macbook power cord. I left it on the desk for literally one minute, while I stashed my computer. Came back for the cord and he had destroyed it. He has also destroyed multiple iphone cords and we literally have to warn any visitors in our home to put away their iphone charging cables or they will be chewed. Not may possibly be chewed. Will DEFINITELY be chewed. We have tons of other charging cables and cords for other devices. Has not touched one. Not even the off brand Apple cords, he is an exclusive Apple chewing snob. So I am not sure what Apple is doing to their cords that makes them so appealing to cats but it's just odd that so many cats only go for Apple cords.

Nov 21, 2017 12:11 AM in response to Scbloor

So, my cat does this too. But, my toddler also prefers my lightning charger to my husband’s android charger. Right next to each other, usually entwined together, and she will dig mine out, no matter the color, and chew on the end. All of my chargers now look like the middle charging prongs are singed. I thought my cat was just crazy but my new kitten does the same thing. Straight for the lightning cord.

Dec 17, 2013 11:42 AM in response to rbracken13

Look for a product called Bitter Yuck. Apply that to an Apple cord (even one already chewed through) and let the cat at it. Repeat this a few times and he'll get the message (it won't harm him in any way). The taste of the product will overcome his attraction to the cord covering eventually and he will leave the new ones alone as well. Just make sure you are prepared to have more patience (or stubborness) than him (I know, tall order).

My cat likes to lick and chew on iPhone charging cables. What does Apple coat their cables with?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.