Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Your iphone could not be activated because the activation server cannot be reached. Try connecting your iphone to itunes to activate it, or try again in a few minutes'. - it has been over an hour of persistent failure, any tips?

'Your iphone could not be activated because the activation server cannot be reached. Try connecting your iphone to itunes to activate it, or try again in a few minutes'. - it has been over an hour of persistent failure, any tips?

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 12:43 PM

74 replies

Mar 25, 2017 7:37 AM in response to Maurreen

Here are the reasons you might get the message that the Activation Server is unavailable:

• It really is unavailable. Rare, but it happens. You can check its status here: https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/
  • If you are activating by connecting to your computer, your version of iTunes is out of date. You need 12.5 or later, and it requires Windows 7 or later or Mac OS 10.9.5 or later
  • The phone does not have a valid SIM installed.
  • Your antivirus or firewall is blocking access to gs.apple.com. Try temporarily disabling it.
  • Your router's firewall is blocking access to gs.apple.com or to a port that it requires (443).
  • Your phone is jailbroken, or it was at some time in the past.
  • Your computer (if you are using one) was used to hack or jailbreak some iOS device in the past (not necessarily the device with the current problem), and its network database was corrupted. Hacking includes using some questionable apps such as recboot, reiboot, Tinyumbrella, redsn0w, etc. If this is a possibility inspect your computer's hosts file. If there are any lines in the file that reference gs.apple.com that is the explanation. You will need to rebuild the hosts file.
  • Your phone has a hardware problem. Take it to an Apple store for diagnosis.

May 12, 2017 5:19 AM in response to Amolpowar1993

Here are the reasons you might get the message that the Activation Server is unavailable:

• It really is unavailable. Rare, but it happens. You can check its status here: https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/
  • Your version of iTunes is out of date.
  • Your antivirus or firewall is blocking access to gs.apple.com. Try temporarily disabling it.
  • Your router's firewall is blocking access to gs.apple.com or to a port that it requires (443).
  • Your computer was used to hack or jailbreak some iOS device in the past (not necessarily the device with the current problem), and its network database was corrupted. Hacking includes using some questionable apps such as recboot, reiboot, Tinyumbrella, redsn0w, etc. If this is a possibility inspect your computer's hosts file. If there are any lines in the file that reference gs.apple.com that is the explanation. You will need to rebuild the hosts file.

Dec 15, 2017 1:50 PM in response to jayakeerthi

• Your version of iTunes is out of date. Current version is 12.7
  • Your computer was used to hack or jailbreak some iOS device in the past (not necessarily the device with the current problem), and its network database was corrupted. Hacking includes using some questionable apps such as recboot, reiboot, Tinyumbrella, redsn0w, etc. If this is a possibility inspect your computer's hosts file. If there are any lines in the file that reference gs.apple.com that is the explanation. You will need to rebuild the hosts file.

Feb 26, 2017 6:21 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I honestly was about to say the same thing. I speak fluent English, because my home country is The United States, or 'states'.. I'm used to slang when my friends text me, but this was pretty bad. It was annoying to read. This is an online forum, that all people should have the ability to take part in. So theoretically.. you should try to be more formal. So yes, Seabright. I agree 100%

Oct 16, 2017 7:30 AM in response to tomlegened

I have the same problem this morning. my phone was totally fine and i charged it for like 15 minutes and suddenly it ask me to put my apple id and password but then it wont let me activated my phone. i press the home and lock button for like 10 seconds and when i turn it on, it still the same PLUS i have to connect to my wifi and suddenly it couldn't connected although i've put the correct password for m wifi (and I tried it in several wifi with password, the phone keep saying the password is invalid). Then later I used a wifi that has "public" purpose (which mean: no password wifi needed) and it can connected with my iphone 5s.

But still, it keep saying "your phone couldn't be activated. try again"

and I turn off my phone for like 2 time. and on my 2nd trial, it give me chance to put Apple id and password again. (please be carefull when typing it or it will going back to "your phone couldn't be activated." phase.
and my phone is back!!!! yay. hope my answer help anyone out there that having the same problem as me. cause today I surf everywhere there's no solution for this problem. I hope my answer could help you.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.