Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera and led light not working after IOS 7 update on iphone 5 help please!!

After I installed the update my led light won't work for the flashlight and my camera doesn't work either. Only the front facing camera works. Any suggestions?

iOS 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 7:31 PM

45 replies

Sep 23, 2013 10:54 AM in response to Ambrielle

Same problem here. I have installed IOS7 on the iPhone5 and camera keeps on crashing. Complete shut down and restart doesn't help. When I start the camera app and I quickly switch to rear view camera (just before the app hangs) it seems to work fine.

LED flash light icon is also greyed out in the new control center. Maybe these issues are related since the cam also addresses the LED light.

Sep 23, 2013 11:41 PM in response to Ambrielle

This solved it for me:

I did a complete shut down of my iPhone5 and left it off ALL NIGHT. This morning, when I switched it on again, everything worked again. Camera and LED seem to be working correctly.

Prior to this I have done at least 4 shut-downs and startups but without waiting for a long time. Never touched the settings (reset, nor restore). I also had tried to close all running applications including the cam app. Other applications that use the front camera or the LED light didn´t detect this devices.

Hope this helps some of you ;-)

Cheers,

Frederic

Oct 10, 2013 3:17 AM in response to Ambrielle

I got this issue the day after 7.0.2 was downloaded to my iPhone 4s. Basically rear facing camera doesnt work at all, black screen. Front does work sometimes. If i switch between front and back, i get a blurred image of the last thing on the front camera and none of the onscreen buttons function anymore.

I also have no active torchlight in the cc anymore - its greyed out and not working. this also worked before this last update.

I've tried various versions of resetting that i have read about. this has to be software related as the camera worked fine the day before as i was taking pictures with no issues.

the only thing i can think of now is a trip to the genius bar

Oct 11, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Ambrielle

I had the same problem it's definitely a software issue because the camera would sometimes work in camera apps but now I could not switch cameras at all.

I may have found a solution of course I probably won't get credit for thanks to Apple.

I believe the problem arises from a bug when the camera is used in lock mode, try restarting your phone with the home and power button. Then open your camera in locked mode and set the flash to auto. Maybe take a few pictures, switch the camera back and fourth, turn HDR on and off, but make sure the flash is set to auto before you unlock the phone. Heck even try playing with the flashlight.

After I did this in locked mode to my surprise my camera and flashlight are now fully functional after I have unlocked it with the password. I'm not to sure what triggered this bug but when I first got iOS 7 and played with my phone some how I unlocked the lock screen without putting in a password. Just by using the camera and the notification and control Center, I unlocked the phone which might of triggered the bug.

Oct 13, 2013 11:50 AM in response to Kasey83

thanks for the suggestions, i tried the ideas you suggested but i dont even get a camera showing for the rear camera, i also noticed the torchlight no longer works. i did all the steps but no luck.

So I took my camera to the genius bar this weekend as well as walking through various steps with the apple guys in ohio support over the net.

With the guys at the genius bar, after i insisted that it must be software as the rear camera stopped working only after the softwre update, they continued to assure me it was hardware and talked me into letting them replace the camera, they then took it to the back and tried fixing a camera and 30 minutes later came out and said the rear camera is no longer being detected and wanted me to replace the motherboard for yet more money. im glad they didnt charge me for the new camera though as it still didnt work.

anyway the motherboard idea i rejected as it was just 2 months out of warranty and had only stopped working the day after the release of 7.0.2, so im going to wait until the next few releases to see what happens, as i dont believe for a second its hardware. i expected a stock answer from apple and its exactly what i got even after my explanation of how it was working the day before the release. not overly impressed with the whole process.

i wanted to back down to 7.0.1 to confirm the camera still works but they said no chance so i cant even see if it still works ouside 7.0.2. anyway will update if i get any further progress.

Oct 20, 2013 1:49 AM in response to Ambrielle

i got the same issues on iPhone 4s, actually it happens after i heard from the iOS7 bug to

sneak arround the lock screen.

After i installed iOS7.02 i tried almost every combination of available softkeys in the control center.

Afterwards the rear cam did not work anymore and the LED softkey in the control center was greyed out.

I solved my issue in the following way:

Enter wrong passcodes until the iPhone was disabled.

Reset the iPhone by pressing home and lock button.

After the restart i opened the camera by sliding the camera

symbol from the right down screen up.

And to my big surpise, the rear cam worked again.

Camera and led light not working after IOS 7 update on iphone 5 help please!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.