Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After ios7 update, mail app showing 1 unread msg but there are no unread msgs. Fix?

After updating to iOS7, the mail app icon shows I have 1 unread message, however, all emails have been read. I logged in on the PC to make sure all were read. This also happened with a previous Android phone I had and there was no fix :/ I have tried restarting the phone and app itself but this hasn't worked so far.

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 10:28 AM

Go to the bottom of your inbox and select Mark.

Then select Mark All, Mark as Unread, and then Mark as Read.

37 replies

Sep 25, 2013 8:32 AM in response to BruceTheCurler

Only a temporary fix.

I have the exact same issue -- one phantom Yahoo unread message (not) in my Yahoo inbox. Marking all messages "unread" and then "read", appears to work but it's only temporary. The next time a message comes in to the Yahoo account, the unread count jumps to 2 instead of 1, and after reading all messages actually there to read, we're back to where we started.

Oct 2, 2013 12:18 AM in response to Paul Wieland

This is an ancient iOS bug. When you use the search field, mail sometimes looks on the server while searching. When it finds unread messages there it will increase the counter. When you cancel the search you won't see those unread mails and the counter shows a wrong number.

So far there are two options I know of...

1: do the same search again and mark those unread messages as "read"

2: delete mail account and add again

Apple should really figure this one out one of these days.

Oct 9, 2013 12:18 AM in response to JessBug815

If you've updated to IOS 7(GRRRRR) on your ipod/ipad/iphone you may be seeing you have dozens of unread emails in your inbox,even though you know you haven't.

This is a famous Apple glitch that they so far refuse to cure.

All the forums stick to the same line ie "mark all read" only to find it works only for the next email to come in and it's back again. I had 10000 odd from years back.

Here's a solution,it works with Hotmail/Live Mail/Gmail and all web based emails;

Log into your webmail on a computer via your browser,create a folder called,Archive or something like that,highlight all your emails and move them to that box,your inbox will now be empty but you've lost nothing,go to your Apple object and restart it,all your emails will move to that box and now not appear on your phone-unless your last 250 haven't been read by the Apple server,these you can just mark as read on your gadget and it's sorted.

It's taken me 10 days to find this.Thanks Apple I've got better things to do!

After ios7 update, mail app showing 1 unread msg but there are no unread msgs. Fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.