Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music and Podcast app not working since iOS 7 upgrade

Since I upgraded to iOS 7 yesterday, neither of these apps work any longer. Music just displays a white screen that goes nowhere. Podcasts opens my icon library view of shows I have, but then it hangs there. I cannot scroll or select anything. Anyone else having these issues?

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 12:22 PM

I'm having the exact same experience! I understand apple throwing the podcast app under the bus. But the music app? That's the heart of their business!

16 replies

Sep 21, 2013 12:05 AM in response to Nik Carrier

Exactly the same problem here. I'd hoped that ios 7 would bring a halt to the stupid problems with the Podcasts app (for me, it was re-downloading already listened-to podcasts) but instead the app simply crashes a few seconds after opening. The Music app does the same. These are the two apps I use the most every day, so thanks a bunch Apple. Anyone recommend any alternatives? Android, I guess?

Sep 21, 2013 7:19 AM in response to Nik Carrier

I have the iPhone 5 with iOS 7. The music app doesn't emit a single note. The car audio used sync via USB and that's stopped too. All of my songs are on iCloud. I noticed the songs simply kept scrolling. So I switched to 3G to rule out WiFi streaming issues. I deleted all apps that reference airplay or use the speakers. And then downloaded one random song to my phone form my library on iCloud/iMatch. And voila everything is working. AirPlay over wifi connected speakers is working. The phones own speakers are spouting music too. All I had to agree to was "accept" some iTunes Store conditions when I downloaded the song to the phone. The problem is I don't know which of my actions worked specifically. I hope you guys can troubleshoot your problems too.

Sep 22, 2013 8:53 AM in response to mostxlnt

A restore worked for me, too, in the end - although it was rather slow downloading a restore file. I guess Apple's servers are busy this weekend. Before the restore I found that anything accessing stored media would crash my iPhone 4 GSM with IOS 7, including accessing Photos and trying to access Settings/General/Usage to see how much Storage was being used and by what. iTunes reported that I was trying to use about 5 GB more storage than I had available. So, I'm guessing the initial update really messed up the media storage.

I'd already started a Restore when it was suggested here, as a last step before putting it up on eBay. Thanks.

Message was edited by: mostxlnt

Sep 22, 2013 8:26 PM in response to mostxlnt

I have learned over the past few iPhones that I should keep min 4-5 GB free space on a 16 GB handset. iMatch and Photostream do help take off the load but then apps like Instagram and WhatsApp download and store a lot of data autonomously. I periodically delete both and reinstall. I wish there were a way to clean out the data but keep these apps.

So if I understand correctly you have reverted to iOS 6. iPhone 4 is stil a rage here and many friends have it. Should I tell them not to upgrade to iOS 7 till a patch is available?

Music and Podcast app not working since iOS 7 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.