Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 iOS 7 lock screen won't automatically shut off after receiving a message

whenever i get a message on my iphone 4 (ios 7) the lock screen does not automatically shut off. it just stays on until i manually turn it off and it drains my battery completely! how do i fix this? it's really annoying.

i have auto-lock set to 1 minute.

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 4:21 PM

I have experience the same problem to both on my 4 and 4s , 2days after installed iOS7 it happened to my 4 and today it just happens to my 4s. The only way to fix it is to have the phone restart, but doing so is killing me. Need Apple to fix this issue permanently.

18 replies

Nov 1, 2013 12:45 AM in response to krissam33

Same issue here.

Noticed it on a iPhone 4 and iPhome 5S.

Already running iOS 7.0.3.

Screen, last night three times, goes into lockscreen and seems to be stuck there. It won't go off (into suspend or how you call it) until you hit the button.

Not sure if it's messages related, since i didn't get any message the last "freeze" time.

I was running some apps, including GPS and Safari and whatsapp.

Jan 2, 2014 3:01 PM in response to krissam33

I experienced the same problem last week and I realised that Switch Control is the issue. When Switch Control was turned on (accidentally by my 19 month-old son), my iPhone 4 (running iOS7) would not switch off automatically when I pressed the Home button or On/Off button when the phone is on standby mode. I did the following to resolve this issue:

Go to Settings > General > Accessibility, and turn off Switch Control.

Hope this helps.

Jul 30, 2014 6:34 PM in response to krissam33

OMG! I didnt believe that it happens to my iphone 5s gold yesterday (ios is up-to-date 7.1.2). Its really annoying issue. In the morning when i charge my phone, i received the message and it keep the screen on during half an hour until i found it. I get dress and waiting it off but i wouldnt until i turn off manually.

I have check switch control and autolock, its off and at 1min at that time. Hope that Apple could fix this annoying issue to the customer : (

Aug 6, 2014 3:46 PM in response to Pavel 555

Pavel 555 wrote:

Had the same issue on iPhone 4s ios 7. I found out that when music was playing, autolock (1 min) did not work. Screen dimmed a bit, but was never locked.

I think this is my issue too. At work I charge my phone on my desk.. at times I notice my screen has dimmed but it hasn't locked.. I have auto-lock set to 2 minutes.. I believe it only does this when I have music playing.. the app that's playing music doesn't necessarily have to be open, even with music playing in the background, the screen won't auto-lock... this is very interesting (and quite annoying, but)... o'well~

iPhone 4 iOS 7 lock screen won't automatically shut off after receiving a message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.