Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you permanently display a time stamp for each and every text message?

How do you permanently display the time stamp above each and every test message. I have had an iPhone 3, 4, 4s and now the iPhone 5 and each one of these phones displayed the time stamp above the text message which has been very useful to me. When I updated my iPhone 5 to os 7.0.2 this useful feature disappeared. Yes, I know you can swipe your finger left to right, that's useless for me. I must me able to see the time stamps at a quick glance on every text message that is sent or received. I am quite often required to take screen shots of text conversations and the time stamp must be there. If this is not possible haw do I return to the previous operating system?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2017 12:42 PM

I agree, it is totally HORRIBLE that time stamp does not appear. HATE that I decided to try IPhone, people who like them obviously never used a Windows phone. How do we tell Apple this is not acceptable? Many a time I have had to show management time stamps of conversations, specifically to prove responding in a timely manner. I don't have all day to swipe each message, and can't even do a screen capture. When all display, I can screen capture & email it asap.

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2017 12:42 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I agree, it is totally HORRIBLE that time stamp does not appear. HATE that I decided to try IPhone, people who like them obviously never used a Windows phone. How do we tell Apple this is not acceptable? Many a time I have had to show management time stamps of conversations, specifically to prove responding in a timely manner. I don't have all day to swipe each message, and can't even do a screen capture. When all display, I can screen capture & email it asap.

Sep 21, 2017 10:40 AM in response to FOTE_FriendOfTheEarth

FOTE_FriendOfTheEarth wrote:

You may have not read the question right. We already know about the swipe left thing. The question was how do you make it show the timestamps all the time. It looks like there is no way.

There is not. But, many people don't know that you can find the information quickly which is why people keep pointing it out.

Submit your feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

iPhones hold their resale value very well. You can always sell your iPhone and put the money toward a phone that better meets your needs. Life is too short to get grumpy over a little pile of metal and glass.

May 11, 2017 12:55 PM in response to FishMoney11

FishMoney11 wrote:

I agree, it is totally HORRIBLE that time stamp does not appear. HATE that I decided to try IPhone, people who like them obviously never used a Windows phone. How do we tell Apple this is not acceptable?

I like iPhones. I have also had Android phones, Windows phones, Palm Phones, Kin phones and a Newton. I know whereof I speak. It's all about personal preference.

I've included link to Apple's feedback page at least once on this page.

Many a time I have had to show management time stamps of conversations, specifically to prove responding in a timely manner.

I find, for reference purposes, it's easier to archive the text conversations to my computer. I like PhoneView (Mac) but have heard good things about TouchCopy (Mac or Windows). PhoneView will allow you to create a txt or pdf file of your text conversations that includes the timestamp for each message.

Oct 19, 2013 9:55 PM in response to ILove2HotRod

My previous phones did show a time stamp. A friend of mine has an iPhone 5 with the old operating system and he and I just had a texting conversation his phone displays all the time stamps above the messages like mine used to do. My time stamps are there but you've got to swipe to see them. Not useful at all. I must have them above or next to each text like they used to be. Maybe Apple can make this an option, until then I guess I go back to my iPhone 4s with the old operating system which for my purposes displayed the time stamp

Oct 19, 2013 10:04 PM in response to ILove2HotRod

Unless your friend's device was jailbroken, that's incorrect. iOS 6 did not show the time stamp for every message. It only displayed them after a 15 minute pause in the conversation. Now, in iOS 7, you can see a time stamp for every message when you swipe. If you don't like the way it works, submit your feedback directly to Apple using the appropriate link on the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Feb 24, 2014 4:23 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

With respect, this answer does not answer the question. I appreciate that I could submit feedback to Apple, and that if I don't like the way something works there are other options. But if you are going to provide feedback to a legitimate question at least try to address the issue instead of dismissing the question as though it is ridiculous.

So to get to the point...for those of us who want to have a permanently displayed time stamp is it possible? It seems like something that an add on like Glims for Safari could do. Can this be done somehow?

And if the answer is no...that is all you need to say...I don't need instruction on what I could do regarding feedback.

Feb 24, 2014 4:52 AM in response to norssk

norssk wrote:

And if the answer is no...that is all you need to say...I don't need instruction on what I could do regarding feedback.

As it happens, I wasn't responding to you four months ago when I made that post. And, many people are unaware of the correct feedback link to let Apple know what kinds of change they'd like to see. You are quite free to ignore any answers that don't meet your needs.

Best of luck.

How do you permanently display a time stamp for each and every text message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.