Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound on iPad 3 after iOS 7 update.

After upgrading my third-generation iPad to iOS 7 (now running 7.0.3), no sound comes out of the speakers. Now, I have to use headphones. Apple says it's a hardware issue, but as soon as I upgraded to 7, the speakers died. Does anyone have a solution? Between myself and the "Geniuses" at Apple, we have tried all of the usual stuff (restart, reset, reset all settings, etc). The only thing Apple suggested is that I buy a new iPad (imagine that). I feel like this happened on purpose so that I would buy a new device. I didn't purchase AppleCare when I bought the iPad in March 2012, and I feel like Apple is purposefully going after those people without care plans and disabling their devices in some small but important way when we download the iOS 7 update (Plenty of people online have complained of the same thing that has happened to my device.). Further, Apple refuses to roll back my iPad to a previous OS...they've covered their bases and they're hoping we don't fight back while they work to keep this ridiculous (in my opinion, manufactured) glitch out of public discussion. So...any ideas on fixing the device rather than replacing it at cost?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 8:37 PM

90 replies

Nov 3, 2013 2:33 PM in response to corneliusmac

One, two or more finger Swipe up from the bottom of the screen for the control panel.

The Control panel has controls for:

Sound, brightness, music, Airplane mode, WiFi, Bluetooth, Don't disturb, Mute, Time, Camera and Airplay bottom middle. I use it a lot.

Hope it's as simple as turning off airplay, it was with my husband's iPad 🙂

Best.

Nov 3, 2013 2:38 PM in response to Ashka

Yes, I know how to get to the control panel by swiping and by going to settings. The problem is, there is no AirPlay icon at all. It just isn't there. The only things there are:

WiFi

Airplane Mode

Bluetooth

Do Not Disturb Mode

Rotation Lock

Play Button

Volume Control

Camera

Brightness

World Clock

....no AirPlay at all. Did they get rid of it in iOS 7.0.3?

Nov 3, 2013 4:27 PM in response to corneliusmac

Try this - Reset the iPad by holding down on the Sleep and Home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons. (This is equivalent to rebooting your computer.)

Check your settings. The iPads have a small switch on the right edge. It can be used as a rotation lock to keep the screen from automatically reorienting itself as you move around, but you need to have the tablet’s settings configured properly. That same switch, right above the volume buttons, can also be set to function instead as a mute button to silence certain types of audio.

If the switch is set to work as a mute button, you can change its purpose to “screen-rotation lock” by tapping the Settings icon on the home screen. On the Settings screen, tap General on the left side, and on the right side of the screen flick down to “Use Side Switch to.” Tap to select Lock Rotation or Mute to set the button’s function. Even if you set the side switch for your preferred use, you can still mute the Mini or lock the screen. Just double-click the Home button, and when the panel of apps appears along the bottom edge of the screen, flick the row from left to right with your finger. Tap the icon on the far left side of the row to either lock the iPad’s screen or mute the iPad’s alerts, notifications and sound effects. Music, podcasts and video are not muted unless you turn the volume all the way down.

iPhone: Can't hear through the receiver or speakers

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1630

http://www.atreks.com/app-no-sound-on-ipad-4-%E2%80%93-what-to-do/

http://ipad.about.com/od/iPad_Troubleshooting/a/How-To-Fix-Airplay-Icon-Missing. htm

ïŁż Cheers, Tom 😉

Nov 5, 2013 7:12 AM in response to corneliusmac

I should have said lock button- right next to volume. It now defaults to muting your iPad. In Settings, General, on the left side, there is a section titled "USE SIDE SWITCH TO:". Choices are Lock Rotation or Mute(default now), need to change it back to lock. You can tell this setting was made for the iphone because when set on mute if you use the lock button, on screen it shows "Ringer" on and off.

No sound on iPad 3 after iOS 7 update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.