Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photoshop CC Icons Now Have White Borders

After upgrading to PS CC, when I save a file, the icon on the desktop has a white border. I asked Adobe how to get rid of them and Chris Cox (Senior computer Scientist) reply is:

"Previously we used resource fork thumbnails, but Apple is phasing out resource fork support and has a number of bugs with their handling of resource forks -- so Photoshop CC no longer writes resource fork thumbnails. I'm sorry, but this is entirely an Apple issue."

Can any of the Apple upper Levels here, confirm this?

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 1:30 PM

11 replies

Feb 14, 2017 5:07 PM in response to rimglow

One of the reasons I like using a Mac is because the interface is classy to look at. The white borders around the Photoshop icons looks messy and third rate. Only image icons seem to have this feature; all my other icons are border free. Since there are various, but time consuming, work arounds, it seems the problem could be fixed without much effort wherever it originates.

Nov 27, 2013 2:14 PM in response to rimglow

I had a good discussion on that subject with Chris (initially as a related question on Adobe's forums). Yes, that's the new normal for the way desktop icons are saved out of PS CC.

They did it because Apple directly told Adobe to stop writing icons to a resource fork because the resource fork itself is deprecated in Apple's API documents. Meaning, at some point, the resource fork is going to disappear from the Mac OS and the file system will become a single data tree fork, the same as Windows, Linux, etc. Apple had to shoehorn the resource fork into UNIX (which OS X sits on top of) in the first place to keep the new OS from breaking just about every Mac application out there when OS X was released.

You really don't have an issue since you do still have a visible desktop icon, it just has a white border around it now. But in order to get that, you also must leave the desktop View Option on for "Show icon preview", or you'll get nothing. CMYK EPS files are weird. They display on a square icon that's gray, and then the image displayed on top of that. They also are very slow to display.

Apr 12, 2014 7:58 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Any way to get around this?

as I save my designs using Photoshop CC,

jpg or png usually,

and all the thumbnails now have the white border,

but I copy and paste a thumbnail to use as a folder icon,

but because of the white border...

im now not able to do this,

if I copy and paste that thumbnail....

it just shows the actual jpg or png icon

(which says jpg/png on it and shows a camera and photographs)

Apr 12, 2014 8:10 AM in response to UrbanKaos

Not that I can see. I don't know if Adobe is writing the icon with the border, of if OS X is adding that. Either way, you can't change it.

I also see no way to use the desktop icon for an imsage as a folder icon. As you already discovered, the Get Info icon for images saved from PS CC is always just the generic file format icon, and not an icon of the image.

Apr 12, 2014 8:14 AM in response to UrbanKaos

The fact I have around 10 years of work,

and for each Client they have their own Folder,

and instead of having the actual Folder icon with their name underneath,

I change the actual 'Folder' image to 1 of their designed work,

so when I go into 'Clients' folder, I see loads of differert designs,

then I can click a design and it will show me the rest of their designs....

but now, since the new iMac and Photoshop CC,

when getting new Clients and making their own Folder...

I cant use their work as the 'Folder' image,

as I cant copy/paste the thumbnail for any of their work as they're now saving with the white borders,

so I have hundreds of Clients folders with their designs,

and now the newest ones are just their name and the actual blue folder image,

annoying!

Apr 12, 2014 11:03 AM in response to UrbanKaos

Found a very easy solution for you, UrbanKaos.

Download the free version of Img2icns here. It's extremely simple to use. Drag and drop the image(s) you want icons of, and they'll be created into whatever folder you tell it to use. You can then do a Get Info and copy/paste the icon image to a folder.

You can even skip the copy/paste part and apply the icon directly to a new folder it creates.

Apr 12, 2014 11:12 AM in response to Kurt Lang

It's perfect, thanks alot!!!

Only down side is that I have to have 1 Folder which i've named 'Folder Icons',

i'll then save all the Icons in there....

and then copy each one from there and paste into the specific Clients Get Infos.

Plus side is that the design looks better as an Icon,

where as before it would be the design with a white box around it,

now with this App it doesnt add the box so its just the design itself and the Folder name.

Thanks again.

Apr 12, 2014 11:33 AM in response to UrbanKaos

Not sure if its possible but when dragging a design to the App, and then clicking Folder, you obviously save the Folder to where you want it.......

But I already have the Folders with all my Clients designs in,

so I either have to copy the new Icon/Folder and then open Get Info on the Clients Folder and paste it on there and then delete that new Folder.....

or create that new Folder and move my Clients designs into that new Folder and delete the old one!

So there's no way to drag a design to the App, and save it over the existing Folder?

Photoshop CC Icons Now Have White Borders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.