Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated to iOS7 and my deleted photos came back. How do I make sure this doesn't happen again?

I updated to iOS7 and my deleted photos came back. How do I make sure this doesn't happen again? I want to get rid of the ones I already got rid of, but if they just keep coming back that will be a waste of time.

Can anyone help?

When I sync with itunes, the photos sections says I am syncing with my iphone, so I assume that anything I physically delete from my iphone should not be showing up again. Right?

Thanks in advance.

CM

PS- I don't use iphoto.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 11:24 AM

5 replies

Dec 19, 2013 6:46 PM in response to razmee209

Is that really how sync works?

If you read this, http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4236 and this http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1314 they don't actually make how sync works very clear. I had thought that syncing my device to itunes would allow I tunes to copy what was currently on my phone so that I could restore that information when needed ie if your phone dies and you need to do a clean install of the iOS system, you always have what is currently on your phone saved in Itunes.

Specifically reading this:

To delete Camera Roll photos and videos from your device

There are two methods to delete items from the Camera Roll:

• Import the Camera Roll to your computer and choose to delete items after import.
  • Delete photos and videos from your device manually:
    1. Open the Photos application and open the Camera Roll.
    2. Tap the Action button.
    3. Tap each photo to select it.
    4. Tap the Delete button.
      Note: For photos and videos you want to save, import them to your computer before deleting them from the Camera Roll.

What you seem to be saying is that iTunes saves every contact, message, photo etc and when you click sync, it reuploads things that you deleted? This seems like it should work the opposite. Make a mirror image of my iPhone on my computer, not make a mirror image of my computer onto my iPhone. You delete things for a reason.

Help- anyone else? Is razmee209 right?

Dec 19, 2013 6:54 PM in response to Christina8117

When you sync photos in iTunes, that takes photos that you have selected on the computer and syncs them to the iPhone. Photos in the Camera roll are not synced in iTunes, they are, however, saved in the backup. If you restore the phone to a backup that contained the photos, they will be brought back. If you have pictures selected in iTunes from the computer set to sync and sync, then they will be synced to the iPhone. This is all based on a couple of settings. Importing the photos from the camera roll is only accomplished by specific software on the computer. While this can differ between computer OS platforms, it is generally the same. Photos will not come back to the Camera Roll with a sync, only from a backup.

iTunes does not save all of this in a sync, is saves content on the phone in the backup. It will not re-upload things that you delete unless you restore a backup that was made before items were deleted. Actually, you cannot delete photos that have been synced to the phone, on the phone. Those can only be deleted by another sync. If you have a general checkmark by your photos folder to sync, and when you import photos to that folder from the camera roll, they actually would sync back to the phone during a sync and it would seem that it is syncing back content that you deleted, but that is all based on your settings.

I updated to iOS7 and my deleted photos came back. How do I make sure this doesn't happen again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.