Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

uninstall genieo

how can i uninstall genieo and not have it as my search engine

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 12:56 PM

24 replies

Feb 13, 2014 11:58 AM in response to Genieo support

Please follow the uninstall instructions in the link below:

http://www.genieo.com/faq/#uninstall

For further information, please contact support@genieo.com

The Genieo uninstaller does not work properly. It leaves components behind, including a process deceptively named "Application." They have promised for some time to fix this issue, but it never has been fixed. The uninstaller has functioned this way since June of 2013 at least, and probably for some unknown period before that. (June is just when I discovered the issue.)

As such, you should not follow their uninstall directions, or believe anything they have to say here.

Mar 7, 2014 3:19 AM in response to hausjg

I tried what you are saying but got a pop up message saying that i dont have permission to see its contents.

If you see that message while trying to follow the instructions in my Adware Removal Guide, there are two possibilities.

1) You are not logged in as an admin user. If this is the case, I need to fuss at you a little bit. The instructions specifically say to be logged in as an admin user. If you follow these instructions carelessly, you risk damaging your system. So, read and be sure you understand and follow every single sentence of the instructions.

2) You have a serious permissions issue with your system. If this is the case (ie, you were logged in as an admin user), open Disk Utility (found in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder) and use it to repair permissions on the hard drive containing your system.

Apr 22, 2014 10:44 AM in response to denet

denet wrote:

drag the app into the trash - that worked

No, that wouldn't work. Again, it might remove some of the symptoms, but this would leave a large number of items still actively-running in your system. You need to remove it properly:

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-genieo/

(Fair disclosure: The Safe Mac is my site, and contains a Donate button, so I may receive compensation for providing links to The Safe Mac. Donations are not required.)

uninstall genieo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.