Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cross-platform programs Mac & PC

I'm two months into switching for PC to Mac and I'm still a little put out by having to give up the programs I use to do my work. In fact, in many cases I'm going back to WinXP via Parallels to do the work and returning to the Mac for fooling around, web surfing, etc.

What I'd like are cross-platform programs in these categories; if you have ideas, please jump in:

(a) layout

A simpler program than Pagemaker or InDesign (though I have both of those) for doing flyers, posters, handouts, etc. Something like MS Publisher but that runs on both WinXP and Intel Mac.

(b) web design

I don't do much of this, but at present use Sandvox/iWeb/Rapidweaver for one of my small sites, and MS Frontpage 2003 for my 850 page magazine site. I've tried Dreamweaver (steep learning curve and poor management controls for large site, too elaborate for small site), GoLive (ditto), and a bunch of smaller programs. Like the Sandvox/Rapidweaver model, but there is no way to convert my large (850 pages) site, and the programs would probably crash when faced with that many pages. This large site is not complex, and the design is dirt simple (it's a literary magazine), but it still need quarterly attention.

(c) There are others -- financial (I've accepted the Mac version of Quicken but it's lousy compared to the PC version, which itself isn't as good, in my view, as MS Money for WIn), photo manipulation and organizers (all the Mac programs (save iView) are slipshod, slow, wed to the imported library model (not my fave), and slow. Slower.

Basically what I'm finding is that while I prefer the Mac for the look and feel, and the operation, too--drag & drop executed pretty thoroughly--the PC has such a huge advantage in variety and type of programs available that it's hard to imagine how the Mac has lasted this long with 5% or 10% of the market.

iMac 20" Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.6), Bootcamp, Parallels, Win XP

Posted on Aug 7, 2006 11:26 PM

6 replies

Aug 7, 2006 11:47 PM in response to fbx

The reason that mac has lasted as long as it has is because it was used primarly for graphics and design and photo and motion picture editing. Thus as time went by more and more developers of software worked on cloning or adapting PC software for Mac use. Some are good some are not. If you step back in time just a little PC developmet was primarly for doing word editing and spreadsheets and has evolved to present day usage. The market has changed very little in 10 years with the exception that Mac has spred it wings a little into the PC market and has gained favor there because of the virus and malware not being a problematic with the Mac. Many users finally got tired of spending $$$$ every year to upgrade and update virus definitions and thus have switched to an Operating System that wasn't affected.
There are several very very good programs out there that mirror those used by the PC world that are not as widely publised. Many can be found at.
http://www.versiontracker.com/
Cheers Don

Aug 8, 2006 1:38 AM in response to fbx

Given what you have related I'm amazed you bothered to switch to Macs. Why would you switch to another hardware platform when all the software you depend on for your work doesn't work on that platform? An intelligent business decision model is to first choose the software that is needed to perform your work, then select the hardware on which that software runs. It appears that you made your decision completely backwards.

Unless your willing to scrap the Mac and return to a PC, you will need to put aside your bias for your old PC applications and find Mac applications that will work for you. Don Morgan has given you a good site for locating Mac software, www.versiontracker.com. In addition there's www.macupdate.com. Furthermore, Apple provides considerable support information on various commercial applications available for hundreds of different uses. Then there is a whole world of open source software available at sites such as www.freesmug.org and www.opensourcemac.org.

As for cross-platform applications most of the major commercial products are available in both Windows and Mac versions: Microsoft Office, all Adobe applications, Macromedia applications, for example.

Unfortunately, learning new software involves a learning curve, just like reading a new work of literature. The payoff only comes after one puts in the effort to learn.

Aug 8, 2006 2:19 AM in response to Kappy

No, I did not make the switch until the Intel Mac precisely because I wanted the safety net of being able to run Win (in Parallels, or Boot Camp) on the new machines. Plus I still have lots of IBM and other PCs that other in use in the business. In fact, mostly I made the switch for my own pleasure, to try out Macs again (I started off on Apple II).

The Mac has an unbeatable look, and very nice operation, but I wish I could find programs that knocked my sox off.

I thank you and others for the comments, of course, and will take seriously your admonishments. I have MS Office, InDesign, etc. on the Mac, and I use them in spite of themselves. I just wish they were smarter, faster, cleaner than they are.

Pls understand, I'm not attacking the Mac, I'm wondering why, for example, running Word on the WinXP in Parallels is actually faster than running Word on the Mac (I know why, technically, but I wonder why Word was never as fast on Mac as on the PC). Or the same regarding Quicken. Or, heaven help us, InDesign. Is it that the developers just do not but the manpower into design and testing for the Mac that they do for the PC (again, because of the 9X larger market)? Or am I supposed to interpret this more laid back and slower paced Mac as a positive alternative productivity model to the PC?

I'm fully aware of versiontracker and macupdate, and I have downloaded and purchased dozens of programs that do various things (graphics and financial and layout and photographic), but i must acknowledge that I have a hard time thinking that Pages or Swift Publisher are great programs in the rudimentary layout sector when I have MS Publisher right there on my VM!

So here's what it comes to (and forgive me if this sounds a bit like a troll): what are the great Mac programs in the intermediate categories I asked about originally? I like, for example, the three simple quickie web packages mentioned (Sandvox, Rapidweaver, iWeb). I don't know if there are even comparable programs on the PC because I always used Frontpage, which is very quick, easy to use, writes terrible code (a bad thing), and does pretty good site management. I have not found similarly good programs in the other categories, and I've been looking like crazy for the last couple of months. Am I missing them? Or are they not available?

Aug 8, 2006 10:34 AM in response to fbx

Unfortunately, what I may think is great you may not. Software preference is highly personal. I'm a very practical person. Were I in your position (and once I was, although I never used PCs) I would simply find what was the best software for my needs and learn how to use it. I'm more concerned with getting the job done than I am with the mechanics of the software. But then that's my preference. I critique literature, I don't create literature.

That said I think the best layout program for the Mac is InDesign. Unfortunately, no Adobe product is a universal binary so they run much slower on Intel Macs than on PowerPC Macs because of the Rosetta emulation. Many other users think the best layout program is Quark. I have not used Quark in many years so I can't speak intelligently about it. However, the most recent release is supposed to be a universal binary. That should make it faster on Intel Macs.

Programs like Sandvox, iWeb, etc. are intended for beginners. None of them are intended to design or manage large websites. I would not recommend them for your site. Because I don't design or maintain a large website I haven't used any of the software available for the task. What's out there that you may try include: Freeway Pro (Intel ready), DreamWeaver, Stone Works (Intel ready), and PageSpinner (Intel beta available.)

As for financial programs I simply can't really recommend anything. I don't ever use them. I know Quicken is available and its main competitor MYOB. I use a CPA but then that's my preference.

As for graphics the Mac has always been considered the best graphics platform around. If you can't find a great graphics application, then you're just too hard to please. In addition to PhotoShop and PhotoShop Elements, there's GIMP, Seashore, InkScape, Cenon (these are all free and intel ready), and hundreds others.

And, I'm not admonishing you but simply asking you to face facts. If the only software you feel is adequate for your work only runs on PCs, then you're using the wrong computer - switch back. That is the sensible decision. Whatever other reasons you may have had for switching to the Mac, none of them outweigh the need for the software and the hardware on which it runs. This is just good business decision-making. Would you buy a Lexus sedan to race at Le Mans or a Ferarri?

I'm tickled pink that you switched to a Mac. But I'm not impractical. I could not advise anyone to switch to a Mac if in doing so they could no longer do their work properly and productively. Now, I believe that Mac software is up to the job, but clearly you don't. Unless you are going to adjust to the changes you will not be happy.

I wish I could be more helpful than this, and I wish you luck in your quest. If I can help you in any other way please feel free to ask. These Discussions are a wealth of information if your patient.

Aug 8, 2006 12:00 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Probably I will just take your advice and use Dreamweaver and InDesign, and shut up about the issue. Or maybe I'll eventually wipe OSX off the machine and have these exceptionally pretty Windows machines. I could even run Windowblinds so all the software looked like Mac software. It'd be sick, but . . .

Aug 8, 2006 12:09 PM in response to fbx

You might give Freeway Pro a test drive to see if it's up to your task. It's supposedly pretty good software and a bit like FrontPage. It's also a universal binary. With any luck Adobe may have universal binary versions of their products available before next year (who knows.) You might try Quark for layout. It's now available as a universal binary.

Why reward points?(Quoted from Discussions Terms of Use.)
The reward system helps to increase community participation. When a community member gives you (or another member) a reward for providing helpful advice or a solution to their question, your accumulated points will increase your status level within the community.
Members may reward you with 5 points if they deem that your reply is helpful and 10 points if you post a solution to their issue. Likewise, when you mark a reply as Helpful or Solved in your own created topic, you will be awarding the respondent with the same point values.

Cross-platform programs Mac & PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.