Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 update to ios 7.0.6 - a wise move?

I'm currently running my iphone 4 on the latest available version of ios 6. Reports from friends and colleagues who have updated their iPhone 4 and 4s to iOS 7.0 (first versions) have been strongly discouraging: Their phones became slow to the point of being useless. So, I have been happy with iOS 6.1.3 - until the SSL bug was announced, and then iOS 7.0.6.

Now, does any forum member have experience with updating an iPhone 4 to iOS 7.0.6, specifically? If so, what was the outcome, in terms of speed loss?

Is it wise to wait until iOS 7.1?

Or is it a lost cause - just upgrade to an iPhone 5?

Any other comment or suggestion to owners of older iPhones?

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 10:34 AM

I used to have an iPhone 4 which I upgraded to iOS 7.0 (& I think to 7.0.1) and was very happy with it. In spite of that I would wait for iOS 7.1 which has had good reports from beta users and which sounds likely to be released in the near future. There seem to be an unusually large number of complaints about performance of iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 and the security issue is not one that would bother me as it is a very specific and limited case. That is for me and for what I need to do on wi-fi -- your circumstances may be different. To be affected you would have to be using Wi-Fi where someone in a priveledged position on that network was taking advantage of the bug. The following quote is from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6147

Impact: An attacker with a privileged network position may capture or modify data in sessions protected by SSL/TLS
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2014 10:34 AM in response to lars1950

I used to have an iPhone 4 which I upgraded to iOS 7.0 (& I think to 7.0.1) and was very happy with it. In spite of that I would wait for iOS 7.1 which has had good reports from beta users and which sounds likely to be released in the near future. There seem to be an unusually large number of complaints about performance of iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 and the security issue is not one that would bother me as it is a very specific and limited case. That is for me and for what I need to do on wi-fi -- your circumstances may be different. To be affected you would have to be using Wi-Fi where someone in a priveledged position on that network was taking advantage of the bug. The following quote is from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6147

Impact: An attacker with a privileged network position may capture or modify data in sessions protected by SSL/TLS

Iphone 4 update to ios 7.0.6 - a wise move?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.