Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not empty the trash.

after formatting the computer,

the files remain in the recycle bin.
what can i do to fix it?!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 3:09 PM

4 replies

Mar 14, 2014 3:20 PM in response to juliana diehl

Launch the Terminal app on your Mac by either searching for it in Spotlight or locating it in the Utilities folder under Applications.

Type in the following command: "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*" (without quotes) and then hit Enter on your keyboard.

You may be prompted to enter your OS X user password. Type it in and then hit Enter on your keyboard.

You should now be returned to the main user prompt in Terminal. Notice the Trash in your dock which should now be empty.

http://www.imore.com/how-force-empty-trash-your-mac-using-terminal

Mar 14, 2014 6:04 PM in response to juliana diehl

First, whenever a question like yours is posted on this site, someone is likely to respond with very bad advice to empty the Trash in the shell. Never do that. It's dangerous, unnecessary, and as you've discovered, it doesn't always work.

The files in the Trash are on an external drive, or on another partition of the internal drive. If you have an external drive that is formatted for Windows (as NTFS), boot into Windows or connect the drive to a PC and empty the Recycle bin.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.