Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change iCloud email in iMessage/Facetime

A few weeks ago I changed my iCloud email address and I haven't found any trouble changing it everywhere EXCEPT for iMessage/Facetime..

When I go on my iPhone to Messages > Send & Receive > Use your Apple ID for iMessage

I keep getting the pop up that wants me to enter the Apple ID password for my PREVIOUS email address.

- If I give in the old password to my new icloud email address it DOESN'T WORK

- If I give in the new password to my new icloud email address it DOESN'T WORK

- If I keep giving in the wrong password (for 5-6 times) it just says I need to reset the password to THAT OLD ICLOUD EMAIL ADDRESS.

I'm getting tired of this, why can't I just change the email address? I mean I see the box to change it but then EVERY SINGLE TIME the pop up goes over it and asks for that password...

Help please? This is really frustrating!

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1, Gold, 32GB

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 3:32 AM

3 replies

Apr 9, 2014 12:58 PM in response to RaniDHulster

Hi RaniDHulster,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

Since both the Messages and Facetime apps are tied to your Apple ID, the first step is to sign out of these two apps and update the Apple ID information. Then you should be able to turn the apps on again in Settings and enter the corrected Apple ID. The links below will explain:

Apple ID: Changing your Apple ID

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5621

Before you change your Apple ID:

• Sign out of all Apple features and services that you use with your current Apple ID.
  • Make sure that the email address you want to use for your Apple ID meets these conditions:
    • The email address is one that you use regularly, because it will be the primary email address for your Apple ID.
    • The email address is not associated with any other Apple ID.
    • The email address is not an iCloud email address, which is already an Apple ID. iCloud email addresses end with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com.

Click on My Apple IDto access and edit your account.

The link below will help you get in contact with our Apple ID account security team if you need more help:

Apple ID: Contacting Apple for help with Apple ID account security

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5699

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5538

I hope this information helps ....

Have a great day!

- Judy

Nov 11, 2014 2:36 PM in response to RaniDHulster

i had a similar issue - i changed my password connected to my Apple ID and because i changed my password i kept getting annoying iCloud/ iMessage and FaceTime pop-ups requesting me to enter the passwords associated to my Apple ID. Also i noticed my FaceTime and iMessage stopped working on my Mobile and Mac Book. the solution is as suggested above...go to above mentioned apps on your phone and re-enter your password associated to your Apple ID and do the same on your other devices that are linked to your apple ID....so in my case i had to open the apps on my Mac Book too and re-enter the password that i had just changed.

However whilst writing this i tested the above out (changed my password again ) and what i noticed is the initial pop-ups that appear requesting you to enter passwords for FaceTime, iCloud, iMessage (when you just change your apple ID) do not accept your password and keep re-appearing as pop ups (this is a Bug/issue) the way around this is wait a few minutes and open the apps. i'm sure someone will tell me this is because they're all connected in the cloud and it takes time to update the new passwords.

Change iCloud email in iMessage/Facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.