Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a ipad 2. Be upgraded to iOS 7?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 11:48 AM

9 replies

Apr 16, 2014 12:03 PM in response to _Mark_keys

_Mark_keys wrote:

Thank you. How do I tell if first generation. When I go to update it says I have latest version 5.1.1. And no upgrade appears

Then that iPad model supports no further iOS versions. The older hardware doesn't have the memory and processing resources necessary to work the newer and more complex iOS versions.

Enjoy your iPad while it lasts. Maybe relegate it for less demanding tasks. Save up for a new model. After all, the iPad 6 is in the works and when it comes out, there will be an iPad 4 and iPad 5 salefest as the retailers desperately will want to dump inventory.

Apr 16, 2014 12:12 PM in response to _Mark_keys

No. But the App Store installer nowadays is supposed to be intelligent and install a compatible previous version of the desired app, provided the developer kept those previous versions still available.

Unfortunately, as time passes and older equipment ages and gets retired from service, developers don't see an economic incentive to keeping compatibility with older iOS versions. This is more evident in the Apple ecosystem since it was first-to-market and has undergone a very rapid growth cycle. Touted as an "advantage" by other competing latecomers to the game, it will eventually catch up with them as well. Life goes on, even if at a breakneck pace.

Apr 16, 2014 1:27 PM in response to _Mark_keys

As Courcoul mentions you amy still be ablew to get compatible versions of Apps for your device.

You will have to download the App to iTunes on a computer or another device that does support the App using the same Apple Id you have on your iPad.

With that done you can follow these instructions from your iPad to get a compatible version:

App Store: Install the latest compatible version of an app

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5919

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.