Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display resolution resets incorrectly after Safe mode

I was setting the display resolution with my Mac Mini and a TV, using the HDMI connector. The Mac had defaulted to 720p, which worked fine on the TV. But I was looking to see if a higher resolution was possible. When I chose one resolution, I received a message on the TV that said "unsupported." Hitting the return key did not return the display to the previous resolution. I rebooted in safe mode, and the screen resolution reset and was working again at 720p. I went to the display preferences, and made sure it was sent to automatically select the best resolution for this monitor. But now when I reboot, it continues to return to the "unsupported resolution" message. I only get a visible display when booting up in safe mode. How can I get a correct with a normal boot up?

Mac mini, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 18, 2014 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2014 9:46 PM

Hi, sounds ;ike the hidden .Global plist is borjked

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

15 replies

May 21, 2014 6:14 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, I've deleted this file as well as they com.apple.system preferences.plist file, and opened up 75 free GB on my 500GB hard drive. Still no luck. As long as I boot up in safe mode I'm fine, but when I don't I get a blue screen before I get to the login screen...not even an "unsupported" message. BDAqua, you've even awesome with your help but I guess I'm still stuck.

May 23, 2014 12:52 PM in response to BDAqua

It wasn't an option. Because it's connected to a TV, I had 720p, 1080i, and 1080p as options. There was a 4th option (1366 x 768) but when I chose that before, that's what started this whole issue. I did try selecting a specific "scaled" option (as oppose to leaving it on "Best for display") but that is what caused this issue in the first place. Whenever I don't do a safe boot it gives me the blue screen, after seeing the apple screen but before I get a login screen.

I am going to borrow a friend's monitor and see if I can make something work with that. Failing that, could I do the reinstall that saves settings? Or do I have to do the full-erase option?

Display resolution resets incorrectly after Safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.