Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to run .command files

I'm trying to run a .command program on my mac and it says I don't have the appropriate access privileges. I've tried the chmod a+x and then the file but it doesn't work. how can i run it without getting access to all the os files. Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Crystalwell

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 4:38 PM

3 replies

Sep 11, 2014 2:48 PM in response to ZackM3000

Sudo gives root access to the running process. This can be necessary depending upon the command and what it does. If you provide such access to a command you should be darn sure what is going to happen. I have no idea what your .command file is supposed to do nor why. But if it won't run without using "sudo," then that's what you must do to give it full root access (unless the script includes "sudo" for the command lines that must have it. In that case you would be prompted to provide your admin password for permission.)

Given the questions you are asking I would suggest you don't use this script until you find out more about what it does, why and how it does it, and why you should even be using it.

How to run .command files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.