Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Yosemite - Font Display Problem (iMessages)

The update works great in general, but I have one issue I cannot figure out. My iMessages fonts look very bad and unclear. I like small minimalist fonts, so that's not it. I think it is a rendering issue of some sort.

I have always had large suites of fonts on my Mac and have a ton of Helvetica fonts. I'm guessing whatever font was supposed to get installed and used during the Yosemite update is, at the very least, not getting pointed to.

Is there any way anyone can think of to resolve this. I'm attaching a picture of what my text looks like in iMessage. Thanks!User uploaded file

(FYI, the Jedi mind trick I employed in the chat was successful)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 1:18 PM

14 replies

Oct 22, 2014 4:01 PM in response to bryanpjones

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the screen-shot. Yup, looks like you have the same issue.

It isn't related to Retina display though as I'm seeing it on my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008 - 5,1)

Did you have a lot of fonts already on your system that you installed Yosemite on? My guess is that I already had a font called Helvetica Neue Light and that the default font didn't get installed because it was already there. For some reason my version of the font doesn't seem to display in iMessage correctly.

But your text looks just like mine. I looked at a few other friend's computers running Yosemite and their iMessage text looks great.

I wonder if there is a way to manually replace the system fonts with the ones from the Yosemite install?

-Mike

Oct 22, 2014 5:05 PM in response to bryanpjones

It is one of the system fonts they use. I think they use a few variations of Helvetica -- bold, regular, light, etc.

But if you didn't already have those installed and you're seeing the same thing I'm seeing, then I'm not sure why we're getting that font to render incorrectly in iMessages.

Oct 31, 2014 10:46 PM in response to mjc

Folks one of the first things I have done is Run FontBook.

I've found in the past each new OS X version's control of Fonts get tighter and tighter. Yosemite is the tightest so far written. It has absolutely no tolerance for duplicate fonts you'll get conflicts even with turned off fonts.

1. Restart in Safe Mode Shift key down while restart.
    Wait until progress bar disappears, and sign in. Let finishing loading.
  2. Open FontBook
  3. In left hand window choose All Fonts
  4. Next in right hand pane click on any font
  5. Next hold down ⌘ key and Press A (select - A)
  6. Go to File menu and choose Validate fonts.
  7. When validate fonts window pops up click on title bar and choose warnings and Errors.
  8. Wait until all fonts are validated the put check mark next to every duplicate named and any defective fonts and choose remove fonts.
    Do not just turn off, remove them off.
  9. Now quit Font Book
  10. Pullout all the duplicate fonts on to desktop
  11. Select them all.
  12. Now do a zip archive and save the archive.
  13. Now dump the fonts in trash again. this time emptying

Now check to see if you have the same issues.

This is one of the first things I do with each new System. Yosemite has no tolerance for even turned off duplicates. Prior OS's turned off fonts were ignored. Yosemite does not ignore them turning them off is a waste of time.

Font book has always been designed wrong fro day one. If you add a font and it happens it should overwrite or replace the old font with the latest version. Not allowed to place another copy in the system. allowing duplicates (in name but different version) causes application crashes, and invisible type in some applications (white characters are on a white background and other maladies.

Nov 4, 2014 7:52 AM in response to pjonesCET1

Thanks pjonesCET1,

This definitely helps. I was able to restore readable fonts in my iMessage and help apps. So far I don't see any other font issues. Unfortunately, with the process, I can't be sure I'm seeing "accurate" fonts. Since we delete duplicates (and error fonts), there's no way to know which ones were installed by Yosemite and part of the OS and which may have been 3rd party.

Do you know if there is a way to restore the Yosemite system fonts and confirm that they are all installed and active?

Thanks,

mjc

Nov 4, 2014 8:16 AM in response to mjc

Yes but it is very powerful and somewhat dangerous if you don't pay attention.

Go FontBook and there is a Command called Restore system fonts.

However: it removes all fonts from everywhere in the Trash and then restores fonts from system install.

You must open up Trash and and remove any fonts to a blank folder then reinstall fonts as needed.

What its is should do is simply remove only Fonts installed by system then restore from system install and over-write (replace fonts in the system) with the newer versions.

Fontbook should never ever allow older version of Fonts be added to fontbook and all versions should be replaced with mos current versions available. Evidently its not easy to do this.

Jun 25, 2015 6:40 AM in response to mjc

Hey All-

I also had this problem. I'm a graphic designer with LOTS of fonts that I open and close throughout the workday. Because, as mentioned above, Helvetica is the default display font, when I opened Helvetica Neue, it used the light version of that font as the iMessage display. So I deactivated the font... and it corrected itself. Pain in the rear for sure, but at least I can open and close that specific font to work around the problem.

Thanks all! This thread was my muse to correct the problem.

Cheers 🙂

Jun 25, 2015 7:43 AM in response to mjc

There are some good points in pjonesCET1's posts, but some things are way off base.

1) It is literally impossible for a font that has been disabled to conflict with another font that is enabled. The conflict occurs in RAM. And that can only happen if the conflicting fonts are both active.

2) The Restore Fonts feature in Font Book does not remove fonts "from everywhere". It removes fonts not installed by OS X from the /System/Library/Fonts/ folder, and the /Library/Fonts/ folder. Any fonts in your user account aren't touched. The other thing it does is restore fonts installed by OS X that are missing from those same two folders. And that is limited to the supplied fonts that exist in the hidden Recovery partition, of which there aren't all that many. So if you've deleted any supplied fonts that don't exist in the Recovery partition, they won't come back.

3) There's no reason whatsoever why you can't use older fonts. I have thousands of Mac/Windows fonts going back to OS 8 which vary between Mac legacy TrueType (OS 9 and earlier), piles of Type 1 PostScript fonts (both Mac and Windows versions), Apple .dfonts, OpenType PostScript fonts and OpenType Truetype fonts. I even have lots of ancient TrueType .ttf fonts purchased for Windows 3.1 when that was a new OS. They all work just fine in OS X.

What you're likely experiencing more than anything else is corrupt font cache data. Some of which can be cache data that isn't actually corrupt, but is confusing the OS with a mix of third party and OS supplied Helvetica fonts that were both active at one time or another. The OS doesn't always see that the cache data is not from the currently active Helvetica fonts. So step one is to make sure all third party Helvetica fonts are disabled. Then do the following.

Close all running applications. From an administrator account, open the Terminal app and enter the following command. You can also copy/paste it from here into the Terminal window:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

Terminal will then ask for your admin password. As you type, it will not show anything, so be sure to enter it correctly.

This command removes all font cache files. Both for the system and the current logged in user account. After running the command, close Terminal and immediately restart your Mac.

Now check your display.

OSX Yosemite - Font Display Problem (iMessages)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.