Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Yosemite mail stopped showing total inbox message count

Anyone having the same problem? I have just upgraded to Yosemite and the Mail app no longer shows the total message count for my inbox, only counts and highlights the number of unread messages. Any way to work around this problem? Tried different forums and setting within the app, without any success.

Thank you!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Mail

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 11:28 AM

32 replies

Oct 22, 2014 7:44 PM in response to rodrigo.zenga

Same issue here! The mail app no longer shows total message count in the title bar at the top for my inbox or any of the mail folders. The only way I can get it working again is to quit Mail and restart the Mail app and then it will show the mail count once again. After a while it disappears again however:( Any way to keep it there permanently?

Oct 23, 2014 12:23 AM in response to rodrigo.zenga

I found this thread as I was trying to figure out why my iMac shows no count of total messages (not unread) while my MBPro continues to show the count in the title bar. Starting and restarting Mail on the iMac seems to have temporarily fixed the issue so thanks for that. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next go around...

Dec 7, 2014 9:08 AM in response to Monique Mayer

Mine is holding steady now with total and unread messages showing. I forgot to note something that might be an important factor in what seems to be a permanent fix. Before disabling and reenabling my primary account, I ran the onyx utility from titanium software on my computer. Among other things, I chose to rebuild my mailboxes. I have used onyx to repair several critical issues recently. For example, I was having a major issue with spotlight indexing a couple months ago that was repaired by using onyx to rebuild the font caches.

OS X Yosemite mail stopped showing total inbox message count

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.