Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook and Messenger Alert Tone

Hello, I have a question about the IOS Facebook and Messenger app. I am trying to find out if it is possible to change the default sound that you get when you get a messenger notification. It only plays the "ding" and I cannot seem to find an option to change it. I am using an Iphone 6 with everything up to date. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 1:08 PM

Hey loppydog,

You should be able to change the default alert sounds by going to Settings > Notifications and then select the apps that you want, for you Facebook and Messenger app and select the alert sound that you want.

About Notifications on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201925

Take care,

-Norm G.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2015 1:08 PM in response to loppydog

Hey loppydog,

You should be able to change the default alert sounds by going to Settings > Notifications and then select the apps that you want, for you Facebook and Messenger app and select the alert sound that you want.

About Notifications on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201925

Take care,

-Norm G.

Feb 25, 2016 12:08 PM in response to loppydog

Unfortunately, until now Apple hasn't been able to implement this option for third-party apps (which is a shame considering all major mobile platforms offer this feature).

The same goes for Messenger; this option is also inexplicably missing in its iOS version. At this point, there aren't any limits from the OS's point of view, since there are other apps offering his option (WhatsApp is a good example).

Hope the developers figure this out soon; it's rather appalling.

Feb 25, 2016 1:24 PM in response to Mike P CZ

Mike P CZ wrote:

Unfortunately, until now Apple hasn't been able to implement this option for third-party apps (which is a shame considering all major mobile platforms offer this feature).

I suspect they are quite aware of how to do it but have chosen not to. Apple frequently makes UI decisions that are different from other manufacturers. But, since, as you point out, some apps do allow this, I suspect that it may be the app developers who are imposing the limitation.

Submit your feedback to Apple here asking for this feature:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Feb 26, 2016 10:58 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you; I've already voiced my suggestion in the Feedback app for the iOS 9 beta previews (I actually expected this feature to be introduced to the iOS 9 last year).

At the moment, the app developers may only enable the notification sound change within their apps' UI. I've even got an app which lists all iOS sounds - not sure whether they're stored somewhere in the app's library, or accessing the actual system resources.

User uploaded file

Facebook and Messenger Alert Tone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.