Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get iphoto back after Yosemite 10.10.3

I have just added the Yosemite 10.10.3 security update to my macbook pro and found that iPhoto has been replaced by a piece of software called Photos.

The replacement application was not wanted and has been forced onto my machine without asking.

Question is.... How do I get my original iPhoto back and the photographs without resorting to a full restore?

Any ideas..... please.....

Andy

Apple iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 10:38 AM

66 replies

Apr 8, 2015 10:28 PM in response to Andy BD

Thanks all, found the application in a folder and the original photo files....wasn't in the first application folder I checked that was on my home folder, but seems to be OK now after the first question that says all edits will be lost..... but removing the new Photos folder completely has stopped this happening too.......

Apr 11, 2015 7:57 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root wrote:

You should be able to restore the application and the Library back individually. If you control - click on the files, you can restore them to your Desktop and then copy them to their normal locations.

OS X 10.10.3 does NOT delete either the iPhoto app or its library. They are still there. If you don’t want to use Photos don’t launch it and don’t migrate your photo library.

Apr 11, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Andy BD

Yes as you already now know iPhoto can still be found in applications,,, HOWEVER, be warned that apple just informed me yesterday that it will eventually disappear and you will need to have all of your iPhoto albums transferred from iPhoto to new Photos pgm just to be prepared for eventual shelving of iPhoto,

I found this out because immediately after updating to os x 10.10.3 and as well after updating to the new photos pgm, my iMac all of a sudden no longer shows my camera under Devices in the Finder, and worst of all would NO longer recognize .jpg downloads from my camera (specifically Canon Powershot G6), I have spent 2-3 hours per day for last 2 days on phone with apple techs and they made me do a sh L t load of tests, and file caches adjustments etc… etc…, including a recovery re-install of these recent updates, but it still does not work, they have decided that the issue is definately not a problem with my camera as I was able to download the pics to an old laptop successfully, and then transfer them to a thumb drive and then was able to successfully transfer the .jpg's to my iMac using the thumb drive,(a long and painful process), plus all jpg's that were already in my iMac are still recognized and usable, it's when i try to download jpg pictures from a camera to either of the following pgm's; "image capture", "iPhoto", and even new "Photos" pgm, computer does not recognize .jpg's and gives error (-9937).

they said that problem is with one of 3 issues;

1) new OS X 10.10.3

2) Application specific ("Image capture", "iPhoto" or "Photos") - not likely that all 3 now have issues at same time.

3) Compatibility issue (specifically that the new OS system is no longer compatible with my specific camera)

They refused to pick one, and the specific tech dept. "photos team, image capture team" would not speak with me and simply told this tech guy to tell me to do a recovery re-install of these new updates and OS, which did not work.

BTW, this tech guy i am talking with is a senior tech who claims he does not know everything about image capture issues. he is supposed to call me back today (Day 3) (LOL are we having Fun yet??? LOLL) to find out if re-install worked,,, IT DID NOT!

MOST IMPORTANT PART OF STORY;;; I have found online that jpg downloads not being recognized occurring immediately after an OS update/upgrade go back as far as 2009/2010. on a hit and miss occurrence.

I am going to take a guess and say that there is a bug in new OS or somehow the proper Drivers incl. in update for my camera have a bug. Canon web site says drivers are not available on their site for OS X 10.10.3 and are included in iMac OS software. Also Canon's Image browser software is no longer available for OS X 10.8 or higher.

They said senior tech who is calling me back today says if recovery re-install of updates do not work(it did not) he would take some pertinent info from my computer or on their end, (he was vague about that) and report it to appropriate dept. to see if they can get back to me shortly with a fix, (not holding my breath), or a future Bug fix/OS Update which he said could take 3-6 months.

They also recommend that I buy a memory card reader and every time I wish to transfer pictures from my camera to my computer, that i should remove the compact flash card from camera and put into memory card reader and transfer it to my iMac that way (for me thats 2-4 times per day, as I sell on eBay, Kijiji and Craig's List.), No more simply plugging my camera into my iMac using USB.

Apr 13, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

Try moving iPhoto to the trash with the App Store closed and then open the App Store. What do you see opposite iPhoto in the Purchases page?

I actually thought I'd done this?

I've certainly done it in SL on the iMac, where it appeared as INSTALL. however, I got the message "Not compatible with your current OS", so I left that alone.

In Yosemite on the external HD, maybe I did not follow all the steps listed above. For example, closing the App Store. I would try it now, but a) USB2 causes Yosemite to load EXTREMELY slow, and b) for reasons which are inexplicable, when I run Y on the external, I get a few Open/Save/ForceQuit problems for a while back in Snow Leopard on the iMac, so I try not to run it.

Since then, I've found a member of another forum who uploaded a copy of iPhoto 9.6.1 for people in our situation, so I've now got a copy ready to install next time I'm in Y.

Apr 16, 2015 12:40 AM in response to Andy BD

Fresh Yosemite install, iPhoto is still present but has the circle/slash through it, and won't run. As of just now, iPhoto (any version) is no longer in the App store, so iPhoto is now officially done.

Attempting to use the iPhoto library with Photos...now there's something interesting. Tried that 3 times (option/click Photos to launch, choose iPhoto library), it goes to Preparing Library, where it beings a progress bar, which gets to about 18 percent and hangs, never importing the library. Second attempt, an "exception" dialog popped and the app died. Third attempt, 17%...hang...and that's where it sits now.

So, at present, on my new MacBook Pro (15" with HDD), I have no access to my iPhoto library.

Oh, and this just in...Yosemite doesn't recognize any previous Time Machine backups either. I'm off to search for how to get back to some earlier OS that actually works. And looks good.

...and just before I hit "reply" I tried to import my Aperture library, which actually contains my iPhoto library as well. 9%...hang, bang, done.

Apr 16, 2015 1:13 AM in response to bit-mover

bit-mover wrote:

Fresh Yosemite install, iPhoto is still present but has the circle/slash through it, and won't run. As of just now, iPhoto (any version) is no longer in the App store, so iPhoto is now officially done.

Did you even try to read previous posts on this thread? Few lads posted instructions, how to get iPhoto up and running.

If you have purchased iPhoto app in the past, it is still available for you to download. It is gone from the App Store for new buyers.

How do I get iphoto back after Yosemite 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.