Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s keeps losing service

My iPhone 6s keeps losing service randomly. Sometimes it will come back automatically and other times I have to restart my phone. I have also tried to reset all settings and that didn't help. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas on how to resolve? This happens several times every hour and it is really starting to frustrate me.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 1:42 PM

19 replies

Jun 5, 2017 8:57 PM in response to Thewolffires!

I have the same crappy issue, i live in Mexico, i took it to the Telcel Distribuitor here and they said it was a defective antenna issue, that it could not be repaired, the IPhone 6S costs around 14,000 pesos thats 700 dlls and you have to buy a 1 year contract at least, mine is 1 year 1 month old like u said it costs a lot of money and the answer they gave me was " we could give you a REFURBISHED one" with a 30 day warranty for 6,000 pesos (300dlls) apple cmon you kidding me, so apple takes it a refurbishes your iPhone to sell it to someone else BUT THEY CANT FIX YOURS. **** you apple making crappy phones mine still has factory plastics on it and it really expensive you shoud have a recall on your defective production bye bye apple for me NO MORE switching to android....

by the way same **** happened to me when i bought iPhone 5 defective home button, took it to warranty gave me a refurbished one which in a few months sensor and speaker stopped working..........#&!)=(!"?="!(

Sep 30, 2015 5:06 AM in response to emilyp775

I am having the same issue. However, mine only comes back by powering off then back on. Verizon swapped sim card but that didn't fix it. I spent an hour on with apple care last night. After running diagnostics they said hardware was fine. That person thinks its the LTE signal strength here dropping out here, but even so it would usually drop to 3G first before no service at all. They were kind of baffled when I told them my ipad and other iphone 6 were not having any issues with LTE. I have an appointment at the apple store Friday so hopefully they can get me fixed up. This issue has been happening multiple times a day. I did try something last night and that was to turn LTE off completely. I am running in 3G mode and for almost 12 hours now it has not gone to no service. I am glad to see I am not the only one with this issue. Its been happening since I got the phone Friday and there has been very little said about this issue on the internet.

Sep 30, 2015 9:06 AM in response to Jcleck

Well, my 3g only theory didn't work as it finally kicked out to no service although it did provide the longest span of time before kicking out while showing the best signal strength for most of the time. At times the signal strength did drop down to nothing so it doesn't shock me the 3g only mode didn't work.

Oct 3, 2015 10:04 AM in response to emilyp775

Updated to 9.0.2, hoped that it would resolve the issue, but it didn't.

Contacted Apple Support, they went through each of the troubleshooting steps, such as reinserting the sim card, resetting network settings, etc. They also suggested that I do a backup and restore of the phone, which I have now done. If anything, this appears to have made the issue worse, with the phone going into "No Service" mode quicker than before.

Apple Support set up a Genius Bar appointment for me, so I will have to see if they can fix the issue or replace the phone if it is defective.

Oct 5, 2015 8:11 AM in response to emilyp775

I have tried EVERYTHING and am still having this issue. I upgraded my software to 9.0.2, restored my phone, got a new sim card from AT&T, ran diagnostics, etc. I have made two trips to the Apple store now (which is about 45 minutes from my house), one trip to AT&T, and spent countless hours on the phone with both. Since AT&T swapped the sim card, I am pretty certain that this is an iPhone issue and not a network issue. I now need to go back to the Apple store and they will replace my phone under warranty. The only thing is, if others are having this issue too, I don't know if I even want a new 6s. Are they all just lemons????

Oct 5, 2015 10:13 AM in response to emilyp775

Since you are AT&T and I am Verizon, that leads me to think its phone issue. Since the sim swap didn't work for me, I got on chat with Apple. They did the diagnostics but found nothing. I set an appointment for this past Friday and no one there had seen this issue. However they stood there and watched my phone drop signal repeatedly and said even though diagnostics were not showing issues it had to be a hardware issue. The swapped my phone and "knock on wood" it has been working fine since then. I do not think its a widespread issue as i searched the internet high and low looking for people who have had this issue only to find less than a dozen reporting it.

Oct 12, 2015 4:42 AM in response to emilyp775

I am facing this problem too, mine is iPhone 6s I also tried all the solution that all of us heard , reset settings, change Sim card, restore the device through iTunes . . . etc I bought it Unlocked from bestbuy at 24/sep through the pre order process and as a gift for a person and I've just starts using it 2 days ago after I come back to JORDAN!! I went through chat with apple help and they said they have to test the hardware!! but I am no longer in the usa !! and here in Jordan we don't have apple store!! we only have resellers!! so I think I have to live with and waiting a new IOS update or waiting any friend who is travelling to usa or any country that has apple store to test the hardware.

hopefully before the warranty expired!!!

Oct 12, 2015 4:50 AM in response to H.toufoqa

That's annoying, H.toufoqa. 😟

Just to provide an update to my situation for anyone who may be interested, I went to the Apple Store appointment they made for me on Friday last week. I showed them the phone without service, and they quickly replaced the phone in store. Since Friday I haven't had any issues, so I'm very happy that I was able to get my issue resolved.

Oct 12, 2015 5:40 AM in response to nedwardsnae

I'm on Verizon and I activated my 6s on 9/28. I've lost service twice in the last three days. I first noticed the "No Service" on Friday (10/9) and then it happened again yesterday. I restart the phone and it comes right back on.

I have not purchased AppleCare for this phone yet but I have until 10/28 to do so. I was thinking about going without this time but it looks like I might have to get it after all. I ordered my phone through Verizon. If this keeps happening, could I get it replaced through them? I'd rather not have to do this as I've already put on the screen protector.

Oct 17, 2015 8:29 AM in response to emilyp775

I was having the same problems. LTE antenna wouldn't connect beyond a "1X" signal, if at all, and would not make or receive texts/phone calls. After trying to have Verizon re-provision my account, I went to the Apple Store, showed them the problem, and they replaced it under warranty on the spot.

The Genius who helped admitted they've had a noticeable, but not high, return rate on the 6S (Plus) due to antenna issues at their location.

Jan 21, 2016 11:43 AM in response to emilyp775

I repair phones for a living and just had a customer with this exact issue. The customer had had his lcd/digitizer replaced recently and began having issues with service dropping. After inspecting the device thoroughly for any mistakes that could have been mad during the previous repair. I noticed the metal housing that the sim-card tray slides into leaves wiggle room. So my solution was to place a layer of tape on the top side of the sim-card to make it snug inside the housing. My guess is some of the phones have a little too much room for the sim and tray and the sim can lose contact. So far no complaints.

Jan 24, 2016 12:45 AM in response to emilyp775

SO i have this issue for a month after i purchase my 6s . I didnt mind it at first because it fixes itself when i turn off the phone. I have of course tried those fixes mentioned here but it was the same. And for one month and aweek now i still have this problem!! so this is a hardware issue, and apple is silent about this!!!! This is a bnew phone and having hardware problem?! Not acceptable! I didnt have the apple care. So im hopeless i feel cheated bec this phone is freakin expensive! Sooo frustrated!

iPhone 6s keeps losing service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.