Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open Keynote 6.6 Files with 6.5.3?

Hi! I updated from Keynote 6.5.3 to 6.6 today (thinking it's just an update & it's still Keynote 6 after all), but now my clients on 6.5.3 can't open any of my files! I called Apple and they said my only option is to export to Keynote 5, and then open that in 6.5.3. But I'll lose all my version 6 stuff that way (transitions, animations). Has anyone figured out another way? My clients won't update :/ Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Keynote 6.6

Posted on Oct 16, 2015 3:13 PM

12 replies

Oct 16, 2015 5:51 PM in response to laurenannd

Having the same problem. Upgraded iMac with El Capitan and newest Keynote. Updated iPad with newest iOS Keynote version. Did not yet (thankfully) upgrade my MacBook or my iPhone.

I was able to maintain most functionality (presos are heavy on interactive buttons and animations) on upgraded devices by saving files Keynote 09. The Keynote 09 versions can be opened across all devices.

Not ideal, but keeps things going until they fix the software issue.

Oct 17, 2015 1:27 AM in response to CKfromWI

Exporting to Keynote 09 seems to work for me. However to export to an old version of software to accommodate a new upgrade is just plain nonsense but unfortunately it is what I have come to expect of Apple these days. Unreliable, full of bugs and not giving customers what they want by removing useful features and filling the apps with gimmicky toys for people who want 'play' with software as opposed to using for business. Sorry to rant but this is so important to me as it is a business tool and updates terrify me.

Oct 19, 2015 4:52 PM in response to laurenannd

Hello There....

I'm having similar problems here.

Some (not all) of my 6.5 presentations don't open at all in the KeyNote 6.6. It gives me the spinning ball of death issue.

The only way I could open it was using the Time Machine to get the 6.5 KeyNote and install it in the computer.

Hope anybody has a better solution.

MBPro RD - El Capitan

Oct 20, 2015 7:29 AM in response to MrDueck

I figured it out...simply hit 'restore' when I had 6.5.3 in the Time Machine > Finder

I selected 'Keep both' referring to transferring 6.5.3 into the Applications folder that held 6.6 (new version).

I then opened the application 'Keynote (original)' and I was able to open the presentation in 6.5.3 that would not open in 6.6.

Oct 20, 2015 7:40 AM in response to laurenannd

Thanks everyone for your input, but I guess the answer is it's not possible. The first thing I did after Apple said they wouldn't give me the old software was use Time Machine to get it back. But that still doesn't solve my problem of not being able to open any of my 6.6 files in 6.5.3. So I had to export them all to Keynote 5, and then redo all the animations and fix all the magic moves when I brought it into Keynote 6.5.3. So I had to go way backward and then forward again :/ Super time consuming for the tight deadline I had, but apparently it's the only way.

Sounds like a lot of you are having the opposite problem too – not being able to open 6.5.3 files in 6.6. So I won't be updating again anytime soon!

Oct 20, 2015 10:43 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Newsflash: the ability to open an application is not indicative that it's "working perfectly well."

Let me know when you can export slides to JPEG at full resolution in Keynote 6.6 . You'll find that this feature is broken and you won't be able to do it.

I'd probably back off being a bit pompous and self congratulatory that your setup is working so well when it appears you are an extremely basic user of the application.

Gary Scotland wrote:

Keynote 6.6 is working perfectly well, as I am running Yosemite.

I won't be upgrading Mac OS just now, its like crossing the road, I won't do ituntil its safe to do so.

That means waiting until a few releases have been made, and the OS has been tested with all the applications I have.

Oct 20, 2015 11:48 AM in response to MrDueck

Yes, I did the same thing.

I keep both.

The thing is... If you load your presentation in the 6.5.3, copy and paste the slides to another new presentation (removing the garbage - such as old slides that you hide and stuff in the end of presentation). When you save this new presentation, you can load in the 6.6.

Anyway, it's lot of work for just a regular upgrade. Let's hope Apple can find the bug and correct it.

Oct 20, 2015 4:28 PM in response to everyting

the ability to open an application is not indicative that it's "working perfectly well."

You misunderstand, we are discussing in this thread, the ability of Keynote to open existing versions of Keynote files:

"my clients on 6.5.3 can't open any of my files"

Let me know when you can export slides to JPEG at full resolution in Keynote 6.6 . You'll find that this feature is broken and you won't be able to do it.

Happy to do this after Apple issue an update that fixes this. At the point of making my last post I was unaware of this issue, from other posts I have found this to be a current problem with version 6.6, one of the reasons the community is effective at keeping us informed, as Apple appear not to do so.

I'd probably back off being a bit pompous and self congratulatory that your setup is working so well

I do not intend to modify any post that I make that is within the terms and condition of the community and that is made in good faith merely because a single poster does not understand the concept of personal evidence. If you are offended by any post in the community, you can submit a report post request to Apple.

it appears you are an extremely basic user of the application.

There is no restriction on whether a user has used Keynote for 5 minutes or 5 years, when making submissions to the discussion, all users are welcome to give constructive help in the discussion community.

Open Keynote 6.6 Files with 6.5.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.