Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

distnoted CPU Runaway...

Mavens,

On Thursday, 15 Oct 2015, I updated Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

Not sure if this update is related to a new problem in El Capitan (10.11), or not.

Since the update, I've had to force shutdown and reboot my iMac (27-inch) ~4 times. On three occasions the system was so locked up, Activity Monitor didn't respond. A few moments ago (the fourth occurrence), I was able to determine that disnoted is the culprit.

Any ideas as to how to remedy this issue?

Thanks!

Plane Wryter

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 18, 2015 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2015 1:43 PM

When the machine becomes unresponsive, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

55 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Plane Wryter

When the machine becomes unresponsive, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Apr 8, 2016 1:29 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi and good day,

2016-04-08 Similar problem as Plane Wryter’s

Again today Finder froze twice, nothing much is working on the iMac i3 (2015), El Cap. 10.11.4.

According to the Act.Monitor >300% CPU Usage.

>300% was for distnoted, when disunited was force quit, the CPU was freed and Finder ok.

In the Console I didn’t see anything curious (?) and I was not sure when the freeze started.

PS: Only a few days ago Apple support advised me to reset the NVRAM.

/

with best regards,

Omar K N

Stockholm, Sweden

—————————————..————————————-

Just found the ff:

Ask: What Is Distnoted on Mac?

Distnoted is a perfectly benign process, but it can occasionally consume resources and make your Mac slow down.

Distnoted isn’t too critical. Instead, use Activity Monitor to see what apps are running — not just system processes. Quit one app at a time and see if the distnoted activity dies down as well.

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/apple/ask-what-is-distnoted-on-mac-130 5721

Apr 17, 2016 3:06 AM in response to Plane Wryter

I too have started having trouble with distnoted. First time I noticed it, it just sat there consuming all available CPU for a few minutes before calming down again. Second time the computer completely locked up. Whenever I brought an application to the foreground it'd work for a short while and then the UI would lock up and I'd get the spinning beachball. I let it sit overnight to see if it would clear up like it did previously. It didn't. Instead the keyboard stopped working. I could still use the mouse to launch applications – at least for as long as Finder was still working – but they would still lock up after a short while. In the end I had to do a force shutdown using the power button. I've skimmed through the system log, but there's just too many messages and I don't know what to look for.

Apr 22, 2016 2:40 PM in response to Plane Wryter

Since running 10.11.4, I suffer from this bug on my MacBook Air (13 inch Mid-2013, maxed out with 1.7 Ghz i7, 8Gb memory and 512 Gb SSD). It hangs 0-4 times per working day, and the pattern is always the same. If I notice the machine starts becoming unresponsive and the ventilators start making noise, I can than quickly check to see that the 'distnoted' process is consuming 400% CPU. I might be just in time to kill the disunited process, which returns the Air to a normal state immediately. However, if I am too late, the spinning beach ball takes over and the machine can only be recovered by turning it off.

Every now and then, the machine seems to be able to recover itself (without killing distnoted). In those cases, the menu bar (which is frozen from the moment the problem starts) is reloaded (all menu icons disappear and then appear again).

It is extremely annoying, especially in the office. I return from a meeting to find my Mac with fans screaming, so I need to do the switch off-boot slow loop that takes quite some time.

Strange enough, the problem is not showing up on my 5K iMac or a 2015 MacBook Air 11", where both machines also run OSX 10.11.4. On all Macs, the OS and all apps are updated to the latest versions.

Apple, please HELP!

Apr 25, 2016 3:48 PM in response to Plane Wryter

I just got my new laptop MBP 13', 1TB, 16GB... Same as last model 2014. The best 13' laptop APPLE can sell, I got it.

It is a pain that this laptop is not like the old version in functionality. It freezes all the time!

I'm working and suddenly the OS becomes unresponsive. Finally I was able to open Disk Utility and found DISTNOTED taking 380% of my CPU. I closed it and the everything went back to normal. But I don't even know what is Distnoted for. Do I need to keep it open?

Apple Support. Is it my laptop? Is the the OS Capitan? I've been with the new laptop almost a month and I'm about to return it and switch it for a new one at apple Store. Please respond asap.

Thanks!

Apr 25, 2016 4:36 PM in response to intramartmx

Apple Support. Is it my laptop? Is the the OS Capitan? I've been with the new laptop almost a month and I'm about to return it and switch it for a new one at apple Store. Please respond asap.

This is a user-to-user forum. There are ONLY fellow Mac users here.

Since this is a new Mac, you get free Telephone support. If you want a comment from Apple, I suggest you use your free support.

Apr 29, 2016 2:44 AM in response to intramartmx

I don't believe this is an hardware issue. It started around (or after) the moment I upgraded from 10.11.3 to 10.11.4. My MacBook Air is a mid-2013 13" with an i7. In this thread, I see many other Macs with the same issue, some of them brand new.

I am sure it is caused or triggered by something in the latest El Capitan upgrade. Apple, are you listening???? This bug makes my MacBook close to unusable. About every 1-2 hours, it occurs. If I am not really quick with killing the 'distnoted' process in the terminal, the only way out is a reboot.

Did anyone mention that there is a standard order in how the system freezes? It starts with 100% CPU, than the top right menu bar widgets freezes (no updates of time, free memory and cpu load via iStat Menus for example), then the keyboard becomes unresponsive but the mouse still can be used. If you than start quitting applications with the mouse, sometimes you can get out of the loop. But more often, the apps also start to freeze and then it is too late.

When you do succeed in unfreezing the Mac (either by quitting apps or by killing distnoted), the first thing youl notice is that all menu bar widgets are being reloaded.

I have become so paranoid nowadays that I have a 'sudo killall -9 distnoted' command already waiting for a return in the terminal...

So once again: Apple, please pay attention and fix this terrible bug!!!

Apr 29, 2016 5:52 AM in response to Daan Josephus Jitta

Apple, are you listening????
So once again: Apple, please pay attention and fix this terrible bug!!!

Not in this forum. This forum is strickly user-to-user.

You can contact Apple via Apple Support

<https://www.apple.com/support/>

You can send Apple Feedback

You can file a bug report

BugReporter

<http://bugreporter.apple.com>

Free ADC (Apple Developer Connection) account needed for BugReporter.

Anyone can get a free account at:

<https://developer.apple.com/register/index.action>

May 5, 2016 9:26 AM in response to Plane Wryter

Disnoted killed the OS... I restarted the laptop and went directly to Recovery mode. No matter how many times I shut it down and restarted, it went to recovery mode. So in there I reinstalled El Capitan. Finally I was able to get into the OS. Everything seemed normal but it happened again... disntnoted showed itself today.

Apple process so far:

- Clear caches (safari, System, Library)

- Reinstall El Capital (twice)

- Today.. Go to Apple Store to run a hardware checkup.

This never happened with my MBP Late 2013. Same config (except for the Processor of course) 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM, Retina, Inter Iris, etc.

Maybe I will have my laptop switched for a new one. I'll let you if it was a hardware issue related.

Cheers!

May 10, 2016 1:31 PM in response to Plane Wryter

I've noticed this as well in OS X 10.11.4. Seems to occur every day or so. Force quitting the DISTNOTED process (i.e. Distributed Notification Services) tied to my login account returns things to normal. Unfortunately, this breaks the hot corner functionality I use to invoke my password protected screensaver so I end up having to logout and then login (or reboot) in order to get everything working again. Outside of system updates or the once in a blue moon total system lockup this is the only reason I have to reboot my machine. Given the frequency that this occurs for no discernible rhyme or reason it's very frustrating to say the least.

distnoted CPU Runaway...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.