Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Utility 5.6.1 (Windows 10) can't find Airport Extreme Base Station

I have model Airport Extreme Base Station (model A1408).

I'm running Apple Airport Utility 5.6.1 on Windows 10.

The Windows 10 firewall is turned off.

All my WiFi devices, including my Windows 10 laptop, all work fine on the wireless network, and the light on the base station is green.

Life seems good... EXCEPT, when I run the Apple Airport Utility (version 5.6.1) it says it is "unable to find any Airport wireless devices". Clicking Rescan doesn't fix it. Power cycling the base station doesn't fix it. It was working before, so it's behavior seems to be somewhat intermittent. Lately, it's not working at all. So, I cannot reconfigure my base station.

Is this a known issue? Is there a known fix?

Airport Utility 5.6.1-OTHER, Windows 10, null

Posted on Jul 23, 2016 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2016 3:04 PM

First, understand that the AirPort Utility for Windows has not been updated since Windows 7. It does "work" on later versions of Windows, including Windows 10, but is not designed to work with the newest 802.11ac base stations.

Let's see if this utility is properly installed on your computer.

For Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, the AirPort Utility for Windows will have two applications listed in the Apps & Features window: 1) AirPort & 2) Bonjour.

• Move or delete the following file from the C:\Windows\System32 folder: dnssd.dll (Note: This is the Bonjour Client Library and is required by the AirPort Utility. If this file is missing would be the main reason you are not able to find the base station. However, even if is present, it may not be properly registered in the Windows Registry. That is, as far as Windows is concerned, it doesn't exist.)
  • Download the AirPort for Windows installer.
  • Run the installer using "Run as administrator" privileges. (Note: If you get the option to Repair or Uninstall, choose the Uninstall option. Allow the uninstall process to complete. The Bonjour application should now be missing in the Apps & features listing.)
  • If you didn't get the Repair/Uninstall dialog window, then let the installer install AirPort for Windows in its default folder.

Second, verify that your computer's wired or wireless network adapter is configured for IPv6.

Now, try accessing the base station with the utility again.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2016 3:04 PM in response to mbratch

First, understand that the AirPort Utility for Windows has not been updated since Windows 7. It does "work" on later versions of Windows, including Windows 10, but is not designed to work with the newest 802.11ac base stations.

Let's see if this utility is properly installed on your computer.

For Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, the AirPort Utility for Windows will have two applications listed in the Apps & Features window: 1) AirPort & 2) Bonjour.

• Move or delete the following file from the C:\Windows\System32 folder: dnssd.dll (Note: This is the Bonjour Client Library and is required by the AirPort Utility. If this file is missing would be the main reason you are not able to find the base station. However, even if is present, it may not be properly registered in the Windows Registry. That is, as far as Windows is concerned, it doesn't exist.)
  • Download the AirPort for Windows installer.
  • Run the installer using "Run as administrator" privileges. (Note: If you get the option to Repair or Uninstall, choose the Uninstall option. Allow the uninstall process to complete. The Bonjour application should now be missing in the Apps & features listing.)
  • If you didn't get the Repair/Uninstall dialog window, then let the installer install AirPort for Windows in its default folder.

Second, verify that your computer's wired or wireless network adapter is configured for IPv6.

Now, try accessing the base station with the utility again.

Jul 23, 2016 10:19 AM in response to Tesserax

A couple of things...

I did find the dnssd.dll file. In order to remove it I had to (1) stop the iTunes helper (I have iTunes installed), and (2) stop the Apple mobile services.

Looks like your steps are missing the "reinstall Airport utility" near the end somewhere?

After I remove the Airport utility, Bonjour is still there (not removed). I assume because iTunes uses it (?).

When I reinstalled the Airport Utility, rather than re-install dnssd.dll, it installed dnssdX.dll.

After all that, I still have the same error. Oddly, this utility used to work not long ago, on Windows 10. I don't know why it suddenly has stopped working. If I can't get it to work, I'll probably just sell the base station and get a different product that doesn't require a special utility to administer.

Jul 23, 2016 3:05 PM in response to mbratch

Thanks for the updates.

I too found dnssdX.dll (Bonjour COM Component Library) in my System32 folder, but also dnssd.dll (Bonjour Client Library.) Both are product version: 3.0.0.10 with a 8/31/2011 modified date. dnssd.dll size is 83.8 KB and dnssdX.dll is 207 KB. Both will be required. I just missed the one file in my notes. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Looks like your steps are missing the "reinstall Airport utility" near the end somewhere?

Hmm, I thought the step starting with "Run the installer..." covered that, but I will revise my notes here as well.

On the IPv6 item, did you have a chance to verify that it is enabled? Windows System Tray network icon > Network Settings > Select the appropriate network connection. I will use Ethernet here > Change adapter options > Right-click on the appropriate adapter > Select Properties > Verify the option: "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" is selected

Jul 23, 2016 11:09 AM in response to Tesserax

I too found dnssdX.dll (Bonjour COM Component Library) in my System32 folder, but also dnssd.dll (Bonjour Client Library.) Both are product version: 3.0.0.10 with a 8/31/2011 modified date. dnssd.dll size is 83.8 KB and dnssdX.dll is 207 KB. Both will be required. I just missed the one file in my notes. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Hmm. Weird. I can say that dnssd.dll definitely is not showing up in my System32 folder any more, but everything seems to work.

Hmm, I thought the step starting with "Run the installer..." covered that, but I will revise my notes here as well.

Duh.... my bad. you did say that. :)

On the IPv6 item, did you have a chance to verify that it is enabled? Windows System Tray network icon > Network Settings > Select the appropriate network connection. I will use Ethernet here > Change adapter options > Right-click on the appropriate adapter > Select Properties > Verify the option: "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" is selected

I didn't fiddle with those setting since it worked without doing so. I have both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled on my system, and on the base station. Does the base station require IPv6? The settings in the Airport Utility didn't imply that it did.

Jul 23, 2016 12:09 PM in response to mbratch

I have both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled on my system, and on the base station. Does the base station require IPv6? The settings in the Airport Utility didn't imply that it did.

By default, the base station has IPv6 enabled. It is not required for operation, but facilitates the AirPort Utility in finding it.

Its settings in the AirPort Utility are found on the Advanced > IPv6 tab. By default, it should be configured for: Link-local only. This setting will allow for local network IPv6 traffic. Unless your ISP has implemented IPv6 AND you require it, then I would suggest that you leave this setting alone.

Jul 23, 2016 3:04 PM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax wrote:

I have both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled on my system, and on the base station. Does the base station require IPv6? The settings in the Airport Utility didn't imply that it did.

By default, the base station has IPv6 enabled. It is not required for operation, but facilitates the AirPort Utility in finding it.

Its settings in the AirPort Utility are found on the Advanced > IPv6 tab. By default, it should be configured for: Link-local only. This setting will allow for local network IPv6 traffic. Unless your ISP has implemented IPv6 AND you require it, then I would suggest that you leave this setting alone.

Yes, this is what's set. I haven't changed it.

Oct 13, 2016 9:50 AM in response to mbratch

Somehow Windows 10, all variants, seems to set the Bonjour Service to MANUAL, which means it will not start with the Airport Utility, therefore it will not locate any base stations.

Press the windows key and R. Type Services.msc and press enter.

Locate the Bonjour service and double click it. Locate the Startup Option, and choose Automatic (Not Automatic Delayed). Click Start and then click apply.

You don't have to restart, as the service is now running, even if you left the Airport Utility open. Once you click back to the Airport Utility, you may get a firewall permission window, click allow PRIVATE. Your Airport Utility will have a rescan button, but each computer I've tried this on, it automatically refreshed and it shows All the network devices, and gives you control, even the new models, hence the lack of need to updated the software on Apple's side. Since the software reads the firmware options directly from the devices, I've been able to configure every modern Airport, Airport Extreme, Airport Extreme AC, and Airport TimeMachines.

Oct 14, 2016 1:20 PM in response to DigitalGenius

I checked and the Bonjour service was running. I uninstalled Bonjour and iTunes (which I use for music). Then I reinstalled the latest iTunes which installed Bonjour. With Bonjour service running again, the Airport Utility still could not automatically find my Airport Extreme. I rebooted, then it did find it. The next time I tried the Airport Utility a day or two later, it then couldn't find it. I'm wondering if I have the case as cited above by another user that it seems to work if you run it right after a reboot, but then at some point will no longer work. I double checked, and Bonjour service is still running.

Oct 17, 2016 9:57 PM in response to mdbratch

Do you use Home Sharing with iTunes? If so, does your AppleTV or iDevices see the iTunes library? If no, Bonjour is still not functioning correctly. I've used IOBit's Uninstaller for troubled programs, services, and other installed software.

I would download it and uninstall Airport Utility and iTunes. At the end of the Uninstall, it will give you and option to "Deep Scan" for remnants of the previously uninstalled software. This includes registry entries left behind as well as any files.

I just did this on my computer (the one I'm using) and reinstalled everything (iTunes from a fresh download). I installed Airport Utility FIRST, then iTunes in case iTunes has newer Bonjour files. The installers aren't supposed to replace newer files with older, but that's not always the case. IOBit Uninstaller is free (They do have a paid version, but I don't actually see any difference) but make sure to pay attention to the first part of the install. They want you to try their other products, so uncheck (if you don't want them) any checkbox. They actually have good software, so if you do install one of their utilities by mistake, it's easy to uninstall and it's all malware/virus free. I use almost all their products without issue, especially Advanced Systemcare and IOBit Uninstaller. Their site is IOBIT .com It's possible the service shows running, but stops sending network traffic for some reason. It'll be worth a try.

Oct 21, 2016 6:20 PM in response to DigitalGenius

I only have used iTunes to purchase and play music. I don't use any features like Home sharing and I don't own an AppleTV or other iDevices. Early on, to try to resolve this issue, I already had uninstalled iTunes and Bonjour, redownloaded the latest version of iTunes and reinstalled (which also installed Bonjour). I did this all the while my AIrport Utility has been installed all along. I have not yet tried uninstalling Airport Utility and reinstalling it. The version has never changed from 5.6.1 since I installed it the first time.

Oct 21, 2016 10:18 PM in response to mdbratch

I did everything I could to duplicate the problems people are having. In the end, I was able to duplicate both Airport devices being available only after restart, and only for a short time, to not being able to see Airport devices at all.

After using the windows Program and Features to uninstall both iTunes (Had the latest downloaded) and Airport Utility (5.6.1). Reinstalling netted the same issues. It wasn't until I uninstalled again, but using IOBit Uninstaller (Or similar if you trust it). I DO NOT WORK FOR APPLE OR IOBIT. I've been an Tech for almost 30 years, as well as Lw Enforcement. (IT stuff when IT isn't available and more for some extra vacation cash)

Anyway, what the IOBit Uninstaller does is use the programs individual uninstaller. Anyone who's worked with Windows knows, no standard uninstaller cleans up completely. In this case, some of the Bonjour DLL's and registry entries were left behind.

IOBit Uninstall will prompt you to create a restore point in case of issues. Do that. Use it to uninstall both iTunes and Airport by clicking the Batch Uninstall checkbox in the upper corner, then select both itunes and airport utility. It's also useful for removing trial software and other bloatware that may have come with your machine, freeing up hard drive space. Since you're going to let it create a restore point, you're at little risk for any problems.

I'm finding version differences between computers, so this may be the culprit along with rogue entries in the registry left over from the constant iTunes updates.

When it's done uninstalling each, it will ask if you want to do a power search for left over files SPECIFIC ONLY TO THE PROGRAMS UNINSTALLED. Do it. Let it scan for the files that the installer log shows remain as well as the registry entries. The registry entries are important because it could be messing with Bonjour having it stop, even though the service.msc shows it running.

This will clear everything out regarding the installation of these two programs, but WILL NOT remove your iTunes library. I do, however, suggest deactivating iTunes prior. I've not had any issues with it being activated after the reinstall, but I'd rather not use up one of your activation's if not necessary.

After this is complete, reboot the computer. This will ensure the System no longer even see's Bonjour as a service. Install Airport Utility 5.6.1 and give it a go before installing iTunes. If it works, wait a reasonable amount of time and try the airport utility again. If it still works, install the latest iTunes. Try airport utility again, and all should be good.

If you have an Apple TV or other ios device, Home sharing is pretty awesome as long as your computer is running. I bought a cheap HP core 2 Duo with a 120gb Solid state drive that uses little power. Windows 7 is installed with iTunes and I have it mount the Time Machine and Airport Extreme hard drives. They mirror each other, so the HP has home sharing on, but shares the media from the networked devices. It's a low power machine, so leaving it on and setting the power options to low power but not to sleep nets a whopping 12-25 watts under normal uses. That's less than the time machine!

Keep me posted on your progress.

Airport Utility 5.6.1 (Windows 10) can't find Airport Extreme Base Station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.