Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s on iOS 11 unable to join wifi network

I updated my iPhone 6s to iOS 11 and I can no longer join my WiFi network. I know the password is correct and my modem/router are working properly as I am able to connect on my work iPhone without problem. Same with a few friends I had over.

What I’ve tried:

- soft reset

- forget network and rejoin

- reset network settings

- disabled WiFi networking services

- toggled WiFi assist

- setting custom DNS

I would like to avoid a hard reset and restoring form a backup at any cost as I’ve run into a ton of issues with doing so in the past resulting in losing everything. Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 6:33 AM

56 replies

Sep 23, 2017 1:49 AM in response to szdgw

I have this problem. Worked for few days then from last night it will not connect on my 5s. iPad is connecting fine I also done all above and keeps saying wrong password even though correct. I’ve also tried manually adding my router details etc and still won connect. iPad is fine. Must be iOS problem on smaller devices like 5s upwards.

No problems with iPad. But relie on my phone for Wi-Fi, so not handset but iOS problem.

Sep 25, 2017 1:37 AM in response to buzzeder

Hi. I’ve been having problems and the only way I got it to connect to WiFi was to add my FaceTime to my Apple ID. So turn it on. Then when it asks you to connect to WiFi. It asks for your Apple ID and then it says connect to WiFi. Luckily I did and my phone actually excepted my WiFi password which was saying incorrect password before.

It still says not connected when handset is first opened. But stays connected. but this is the new iOS problems for certain handset, my iPad has no problems. Worth a try.

Sep 27, 2017 12:54 PM in response to reinardcox

I should add a bit more clarity on this - I had an issue with my backup being too big for the space left on my phone after I did a major software update (I think it was when iOS 9 was released). I also think my phone may be a unique situation at this point. I updated to 11.0.1 today and it ended up bricking my phone and I had to factory reset and restore from my backup. That said, wifi is connecting just fine now. Looks like 11.0.1 fixed the issue. Thanks!

Oct 5, 2017 9:40 AM in response to buzzeder

I updated iOS 11 and then to iOS 11.0.2 few days back on my iPhone 6s, since then my iPhone has stopped connecting to WiFi. The options getting displayed are that either the password is incorrect or unable to connect to WiFi. I am also unable to connect to hotspot created on an android phone though on an iPhone I am able to connect via an hotspot. Further, I have an iPad and another iPhone 6 which is getting connected to the same WiFi or any other WiFi wherever I am trying to connect them. I have tried the following steps independent of each other to solve the problem-

1. Resetting and erasing the network settings.

2. Resetting the iPhone to factory settings.

3. Disabling WiFi on location settings.

4. Resetting the router.

5. Removing the password on my router and then trying to connect.

None of the above steps have solved the problem. The only time my iPhone gets connected to WiFi is at the airport where I don’t have to input a password to access the router but put in an access code in a webpage provided.

Nov 20, 2017 12:11 PM in response to buzzeder

I have had this problem as well. I did a hard reset - no luck, also sent it back to 10.3.3 where it use to work fine and that did not help either. Took it to the Apple Store - diagnostics checked fine and was told the next update would fix it. That was 11.1 - no luck - same with 11.1.2 - getting frustrated! Anyone have any ideas? Also - my Bluetooth is also messed up since updating to 11. BTW iPhone 6S

Dec 14, 2017 12:35 AM in response to Bettsjp

I’m having the same problem with my iPhone 7. I’m currently abroad and when I try to connect to a wifi it says unable to connect. Even when it’s a free wifi. I can connect to wifi with my iPad. However, when I try to connect my iPad to my iPhone to use cellular data it will not connect to my iPhone. I was going to do a software update but the funny thing about that is that you need wifi to do that. Catch 22. So ****** right now.

iPhone 6s on iOS 11 unable to join wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.