Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 EFI mode or Legacy BIOS

I'm a big fan of MAC and OS X - MACOS. But also I´m a Windows fan, and I need it. I cant say which Os is better than the other, but there are things I can only do on Windows, and other things I can only do with MACOS.

That is the reason my hardware is Apple. I dont want PCs and MACs at the same time. And prefer dual booting (Bootcamp). I own 3 MACs and one PC. But I need Windows on my MACs, and I paid for those licences. I want APPLE to clarify on oficial docs about EFI and BIOS. On my MACs installed with Windows 10 in EFI mode, always have sound issues, specially with CIRRUS hardware. I guess it depends also on the model, and hardware of your mac. But for example:

MacbookPro9,2 (Still and awsome hardware) in EFI mode, no way to make CIRRUS audio to Work, it simply doesnt. You cant even get all devices normally operating in Device manager.

Macmini6,1. No HDMI sound, no mic.

Also have issues in Macbook Air.

Plaese clarify install mode EFI or BIOS, and how to make correctly, most of the oficial docs, only mention if Win10 is supported on your Device, and the supported features, where to getr bootcamp drivers, but this we already know.

thrilled to have MACOS High Sierra, and Win 10 dual booting. And hopefully Filevault and bitlocker co-existing as I can do today.

Regards,

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 8:15 AM

• 2012 and older models only support legacy BIOS Mode. There is varying degree of 'EFI'ness in these, but they are not UEFI-compliant.
  • Late 2013-2014 models support both EFI and BIOS, and default is BIOS. These are the first models which are UEFI.
  • 2015 and later models only support EFI and UEFI-compliant.

BC Assistant knows all this. It is highly recommended that you use BC Assistant only, to install Windows on Macs. Using Alt/Option to interrupt the default installation process is not recommended, unless you know what you want.

On a 2012 MBP, you need to use BIOS mode, because CSM-BIOS exports the Cirrus devices correctly but EFI does not.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2017 8:15 AM in response to aminocell

• 2012 and older models only support legacy BIOS Mode. There is varying degree of 'EFI'ness in these, but they are not UEFI-compliant.
  • Late 2013-2014 models support both EFI and BIOS, and default is BIOS. These are the first models which are UEFI.
  • 2015 and later models only support EFI and UEFI-compliant.

BC Assistant knows all this. It is highly recommended that you use BC Assistant only, to install Windows on Macs. Using Alt/Option to interrupt the default installation process is not recommended, unless you know what you want.

On a 2012 MBP, you need to use BIOS mode, because CSM-BIOS exports the Cirrus devices correctly but EFI does not.

User uploaded file

Windows 10 EFI mode or Legacy BIOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.