Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts missing on iMac after upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.2

My contacts are on my phone and ipad, and the names show up on my Mac, but when I click on a card, there's nothing there. I've installed the security update, restored contacts on icloud.com, switched on and off and on and off and on the setting for iCloud contacts in the contacts app, but no go. What now?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), High Sierra, 10.13.2

Posted on Jan 13, 2018 10:22 AM

23 replies

Jan 16, 2018 8:02 AM in response to lpishker

When you sign in with Apple ID and password in iCloud account on the bottom left corner click on refresh contacts .And only contacts list / name of contact persons and their details can be recovered , if contacts are stored in groups or smart groups they cannot be exported and imported .See this article Link contacts from different accounts on Mac - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Jan 16, 2018 8:09 AM in response to tygb

I think we're talking across each other. When I log in to icloud, all of my contacts are there. I can export there, import into the Contacts app on my desktop, but they it says I have a duplicate because I didn't lose the contacts. They just aren't appearing. I can export and import all day long, but the contact data still doesn't show. Though they name does.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jan 16, 2018 8:53 AM in response to lpishker

Comparing both the screen shots , there is no webmail account configured ( could be gmail or yahoo ) .

The Mac user must create an Apple ID that is kept same as webmail address ( could be gmail address ) to work smoothly .See this article Set up iCloud - Apple Support

And another article Add contacts from iCloud, Facebook, and more to Contacts on Mac - Apple Support

If you keep contacts in Internet accounts—for example, iCloud, Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, or Yahoo!—you can use the accounts in the Contacts app, and access all your contacts in one place.

Note: An Internet account isn’t necessary to use Contacts—you can add your family and friends directly in Contacts.

If you are directly adding contacts ( as family friends in that scenario they are not showing in the first screen shot and you have edited them and removed their street addresses , mail address or mobile numbers etc and in the second screen shot they are visible .

And for duplicate contacts , click on card > look for duplicates , if they are found merge them .

User uploaded file

I am using some web mail service the contacts shows perfectly and I cloud account and have to click on All contacts .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

And in system preferences > internet accounts click on web mail account the contacts box and rest of 3 boxes are checked same with iCloud account except back to my Mac is always unchecked and if iCloud is clicked all boxes should show as checked except back to my Mac .

Jan 16, 2018 10:00 AM in response to lpishker

Login in with gmail address and password on the server account , on left side of screen click on drop down arrow of gmail and click on contacts .

User uploaded file

A window appears , click on other contacts some names will be shown select them and check the boxes , take cursor on top right corner and delete them , you can also in search frequently contacted , contacts , duplicates .

In your screen shot the contacts are merging from web mail account , in your apple address book application having only names and no details ( like mail addresses and street address etc ) .

User uploaded file

see some articles Edit or delete contacts - Contacts Help

I'm getting a Contacts error - Contacts Help

Jan 17, 2018 7:46 PM in response to lpishker

if you have switched to new ISP the gmail address is showing inactive or deactivated the old gmail account after three months is removed from the gmail server and you cannot sign in that account but it still shows in system preferences - internet accounts , you can select it and click on minus sign .

This mail address will also be seen if you open keychain access through spotlight , in iCloud section select that address , take cursor on top menu bar and click on edit and delete , it will be gone .

User uploaded file

Also you can search contacts in signing in www. iCloud.com with your Apple ID and its password go to settings In contacts search them and click on delete .

Read this article Delete contacts or groups of contacts on Mac - Apple Support

Add or remove contacts from a group on Mac - Apple Support

and click on the bottom links to get more info .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 15, 2018 6:06 PM in response to lpishker

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, lpishker.
If I understand your post correctly, contact cards are blank on your Mac. It sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting so far. I'd like to help.
Try these steps to isolate the issue:
Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes corrects the issue. This article will tell you how: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
If everything is working correctly in safe mode, but is not working when you get back to your user account, please check the section titled "If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.
If the issue continues while in safe mode, a test user will let us know if the issue is isolated to your account, or system wide: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac. If the issue happens in the test user also, then please check the section titled "If an issue happens in more than one user account."
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Jan 16, 2018 5:10 AM in response to lpishker

Please add one more article Change your iCloud feature settings - Apple Support

I had same topics today with apple support , if you have archived the contacts data before signing out from iCloud account then the data is saved and a archived folder will be created in home folder .

If some contacts are in your iPhone , or other apple device that can be exported on the Mac ( by connecting cable between two devices ) .For the time being create a new user account and observe it .

Jan 16, 2018 4:52 AM in response to tygb

Nah, none of those things I'd already done. I spent 2 hours on the phone with AppleCare yesterday. It's far beyond these things, which I had already done. Contacts do appear with a test user, but don't appear in Safe Mode. The tech thought maybe a bad upgrade, so I've reinstalled it. But, sadly, still not working...

Jan 17, 2018 6:23 AM in response to tygb

I'm not sure what you mean. And actually, I'm not sure what that inactive gmail is. I'm already signed in to Gmail with the one called Gmail 2 (I remember having to create a second account but don't know why!), and the inactive one doesn't seem to respond to my password. Can I just delete it? Also, just as a sidenote, I signed in to the FB account, and it too shows the names but not actual address data.

Contacts missing on iMac after upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.