Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 3/Watchos 5 - Swimming not counting laps or calories correctly.

I have an Apple Watch 3, and just updated to WatchOS 5 yesterday. Today during my swim workout, the yardage counting is completely off - I swam 6500 yards, and it shows 100 yards. The calories burned are about 4-500 different than normal, the auto sets are completely wrong/missing as well as times and everything. Is there a bug with the new watchOS and swimming? Anyone else have this issue? I swim the exact same distance/time 5 days a week and the Apple Watch workout app has always been extremely consistent in measuring distance, time, strokes, etc. I count my laps and the Apple Watch historically always got it exactly right. Now today, after watchos 5 update, it's not even close.

Thanks,

Andy

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 5

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 9:25 AM

103 replies

Sep 23, 2018 1:24 PM in response to Akumi800

Thanks, Andy.

+1 on this!

See my screenshots below that show a significant drop in recorded laps and calories starting Sept 17 with the watchOS 5 release.

My typical swim time is about 30-35 mins. I went from about 50 laps recorded for that time down to only 2 for the entire session. Same story with a significant drop in calories recorded.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 8, 2019 5:01 AM in response to Akumi800

Same issue here but I was in the pool trying to squeeze in 2500m, I got to 2550 and jumped out and finished the workout. I got home and workout app is only showing a 1000m swim but gave me the calories, almost closed the move ring, closed exercise ring and shows the hr duration of my swim just the distance is way off. Super frustrating. Anyone find a fix to this iOS 5 update glitchiness? Thanks in advance! Just noticed cals are off too!!

Sep 24, 2018 9:28 AM in response to lfraile

Ok, Mine worked again this morning, the right way. Here’s what I did last night before swimming this morning. Not sure if this was what fixed it for me, but worth a try to see if it fixes it for everyone else too.

First, I force quit the workout app - open the work out app on your watch, hold down the watch button until the “power off” screen appears, release the side button and push and hold the Digital Crown until the app closes.

Next, I force reset the watch. Hold down both the side button and the Digital Crown together until the screen goes blank and then you see the Apple logo. Release when you see the Apple logo.

After doing those both last night and then swimming again this morning, all swimming activity tracking was back to normal.

Good luck!

Sep 26, 2018 9:29 AM in response to Posaune Guy

Hmm can make sense, but, starting the problem just after watchos 5? also noting it comes with a lot of changes in workout app?

As a developer myself it seems more like a software problem reading some sensors.

I disabled the new features of auto-start and auto-stop workouts to see if it makes any change, but I won't be swimming until tomorrow.

Sep 27, 2018 4:23 PM in response to SEGerfen

Hi all I am having the same prob I swim 52 lengths since update it’s registered 2,11,2,7 and 3 lengths,

The calories are miles out to.

I’ve unpaired the watch, cleared and restored from a back up I’ve also unpaired, cleared and set up as a new watch still faulty.

I phoned apple who knew nothing of this fault, and they booked me in for a visit to a store to check the watch for Saturday, I really think I am wasting my time going as it seems obvious that it a software fault.

I’ve just checked and there is a update out, it doesn’t mention about swimming but it does say something about activity tracking, I have updated but I won’t be able to test it till Monday.

If in the meantime anyone does do the update and tries it before Saturday could you please post an outcome as it will save me a long trip to a store.

Otherwise I will pop an update on Monday.

Thanks Andy.

Oct 3, 2018 7:00 PM in response to Akumi800

I've only done one swim so far with watchOS 5, but can definitely confirm that auto sets isn't working at all for me. Distance, laps, and calories are all fine and reasonable. But I really miss the auto sets.

I used to have a problem with watchOS v4 where, only while swimming, the distance displayed on the watch was totally bogus...something like 3K yards after one lap, and it never changed, even though the number of laps changed and was correct. But, after completing the workout, the total distance displayed and synced was correct. Rebooting the watch fixed it. Maybe worth a try for you?

But, indeed, frustrating.

Chris

P.S. 6500 yards @ 5x/week...wow!!!

Oct 4, 2018 4:04 PM in response to Akumi800

Hi are you still having the same fault

I contacted apple today for a 3rd time and they took some readings off my watch over Wi-fi and couldn’t find a fault with the watch itself.

He said it’s possibly a software fault surprise there, he has past my reading on to a different team to look at all the info and will come back to me in 4 days maximum.

In the meantime he suggested that more people need to contact Apple via the apple support app to register this fault as it will help.

Cheers Andy.

Apple Watch 3/Watchos 5 - Swimming not counting laps or calories correctly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.